|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 2] BAS YORESHES SHENEI MATOS - a daughter inherits [from] two tribes
2) [line 5] HURA KOCHAH B'NICHSEI HA'AV - her power is weakened with [regard to inheriting] the father's property (because a son precedes her)
3) [line 7] UMI'MAKOM SHE'BASA - (lit. and from the place from which you have come) and from the place from which you are learning
4) [line 11] SHAVIN - they are equal (they inherit together equally, and the son does not precede the daughter)
5) [line 11] DAYO LA'BA MIN HA'DIN LIHEYOS KA'NIDON - it is sufficient to give the Halachah learned from a Kal va'Chomer the exact status of the Halachah from which it was learned.
6) [line 13] MI'DIN KAL VA'CHOMER
7) [line 14] "V'AVIHA YAROK YARAK B'FANEHA, HA'LO SIKALEM SHIV'AS YAMIM..." - "And HaSh-m said to Moshe, 'If her father had but spit in her face, should she not be ashamed seven days? [Let her be shut out from the camp for seven days, and after that let her be received in again.']" (Bamidbar 12:14)
8) [line 15] KAL VA'CHOMER LA'SHECHINAH ARBA'AH ASAR YOM - it stands to reason that for a disgrace received from HaSh-m she should be ashamed for double the time of the shame that she feels for her father's disgrace, i.e. fourteen days
9) [line 17] B'ALMA DARISH DAYO - in all other cases, he expounds (and applies) the rule of "Dayo" (see above, entry #5)
10) [line 20] SAVAR L'ME'AVAD UVDA - he considered ruling in practice [like Rebbi Zecharya ben ha'Katzav, and giving a son and a daughter an equal share in the inheritance from the mother]
11) [line 22] AFES ZECHARYA - cancel [the ruling of] Zecharya
13) [line 26] ZIL AHADAR BACH! - Go and retract [your ruling]!
15) [line 31] ASHALACH LEI - I shall send to him (to find out if Rav Huna actually said such a ruling)
16) [line 31] ICHSIF - he was embarrassed
18) [line 35] MISTAMICH V'AZIL - he was leaning and walking
22a) [line 37] BAR INASH D'ASA L'KIVLANA - the person who comes to greet us
23) [line 38] GASHESHAH - he (Rebbi Yanai) felt it (the cloak of Rebbi Yehudah Nesi'ah)
24a) [line 39] DEIN, SHI'UREI K'SAK - this [cloak], it has the law of the measurement (with regard to becoming Tamei) of sackcloth (i.e. his cloak is made of thick material and is not so becoming (RASHBAM); see ME'IRI for the deeper meaning underlying this remark)
b) [line 39] SHI'UREI K'SAK (SAK: KABALAS TUM'AH)
25a) [line 1] GUD - [let us] leave (lit. pull [me away from here])
26) [line 2] "[KI ES HA'BECHOR BEN HA'SENU'AH YAKIR, LASES LO PI SHENAYIM] B'CHOL ASHER YIMATZEI LO, [KI HU REISHIS ONO, LO MISHPAT HA'BECHORAH.]" - "[He must recognize the first-born son of the hated wife to give him a double portion] of everything in his possession, [because he is the first of his strength, to him is the law of the firstborn.]" (Devarim 21:17)
27) [line 3] LO V'LO LAH - [the firstborn receives a double portion only of the property in] "his" [possession, i.e. his father's,] but not [of the property in] "her" [possession, i.e. his mother's]
28) [line 6] ONO V'LO ONAH - "his strength," and not "her strength"
31) [line 15] "[V'IM EIN ACHIM L'AVIV, U'NSATEM ES NACHALASO LI']SHE'ERO [HA'KAROV EILAV MI'MISHPACHTO,] V'YARASH OSAH" - "[If there are no brothers to his father, you shall give his inheritance to] his relative [who is closest to him from his family, and] he shall inherit it." (Bamidbar 27:11) - The Gemara here expounds "She'ero" to refer to a man's wife, and the words "v'Yarash Osah" to mean that "he will inherit her."
32) [line 17] AF HI TIRASHENU - [perhaps] even she should inherit him
34) [line 19] TERITZ HACHI - explain [the verses] as such
36) [line 21] SAKINA CHARIFA MAFSEKA KERA'EI?! - a sharp knife is cutting up the verses?!
37) [line 21] U'NESATEM ES NACHALAS SHE'EIRO LO - you shall give the inheritance of his wife to him
38) [line 22] GOR'IN U'MOSIFIN V'DORSHIN - we can take off a letter from one word and attach it to an adjacent letter or word and then expound the verse; e.g. we take the letter "Vav" off of the word "Nachalaso," and we take the letter "Lamed" off of the word "li'She'ero," and we combine the two letters to make the word "Lo."
39) [line 25] HESEBAS HA'BA'AL - transfer [of the property via] the husband. When a woman from one tribe, who inherited (or stands to inherit) property from her father, marries a man from another tribe and then she dies, her husband inherits her property and it thereby is transferred to the tribe of the husband.
40) [line 27] "V'ELAZAR BEN AHARON MES VA'YIKBERU OSO B'GIV'AS PINCHAS BENO ASHER NITAN LO B'HAR EFRAYIM." - "Elazar, the son of Aharon, died, and they buried him in the hill of Pinchas, his son, which was given to him on Mount Efrayim." (Yehoshua 24:33)
41) [line 27] V'CHI MINAYIN L'FINCHAS SHE'LO HAYAH LO L'ELAZAR? - From where did Pinchas have [land] that Elazar (his father) did not have?
42) [last line] "U'SGUV HOLID ES YA'IR..."- And Seguv bore Ya'ir, who had twenty-three cities in the land of Gil'ad." (Divrei ha'Yamim I 2:22)