POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Bava Basra 75
BAVA BASRA 71-75 - Sponsored by a generous grant from an anonymous
donor. Kollel Iyun Hadaf is indebted to him for his
encouragement and support and prays that Hashem will repay him
1) THE END OF LIVYASAN
(i) (Rav Dimi): Gavri'el will fight Livyasan (Rashba - to end
this world when its allotted time expires) - "Timshoch
2) NEW THINGS THAT HASH-M WILL MAKE
1. He cannot defeat it without Hash-m's help (because
Hash-m gave everything power to endure, only He can
end it) - "Ha'Oso Yagesh Charbo".
(j) (Rav Dimi): When Livyasan is hungry, it spews hot air
from its mouth and boils [makes foam] all the water in
the depths - "Yati'ach la'Sir Metzulah";
1. If it would not put its mouth in Gan Eden, no
creature could stand its smell - "Yam Yasim
(k) When it is thirsty (and drinks), it makes furrows in the
sea - "Acharav Ya'ir Nasiv" (the depths are uncovered).
(l) (Rav Acha bar Yakov): The depths do not return to normal
for 70 years - "Yachshov Tehom l'Seivah".
1. Seivah is never less than 70 years.
(m) (Rabah): In the future, Hash-m will make a feast for
Tzadikim from the meat of the Livyasan - "Yichru Alav
1. 'Karah' is a language of a meal - "Va'Yichreh Lahem
Kerah Gedolah va'Yochelu va'Yishtu".
(n) (Rabah): In the future, Hash-m will make a Sukah for
Tzadikim from the skin of the Livyasan - "Ha'Smalei
2. "Chabarim" refers to Chachamim - "Ha'Yosheves
ba'Ganim Chaverim Makshivim l'Kolech Hashmi'ini".
3. The rest of Livyasan will be divided among Chachamim
and sold in the markets of Yerushalayim (ha'Rif - it
will be given to those who supported Chachamim) -
"Yechetzuhu Bein Kena'anim";
i. "Kena'anim" means merchants - "Kena'an b'Yado
ii. We could also learn from "Sochareha Sarim
Kin'aneha Nichbadei Aretz".
1. It is a Sukah (Rashbam - complete, with walls) for
one who merits [did Mitzvos purely to serve Hash-m];
for one with less merit [his Mitzvos were in order
to get reward from Hash-m], it is only shade
[protects from the day of judgment] - "Uv'Tzaltzal
2. For one with less merit [his Mitzvos were in order
to get honor from people], it is a necklace -
3. For one with even less merits [his Mitzvos were in
order to get reward from people], it is an amulet -
4. Hash-m spreads the rest on the walls of
Yerushalayim, its radiance shines to the ends of the
world - "V'Halchu Goyim l'Orech...".
(i) (R. Shmuel bar Nachmani): "V'Samti Kadchod Shimshosayich"
[Hash-m will make a new source of light for us] - two
angels argue about this, Micha'el and Gavri'el;
1. Some say, two Amora'im argue about it, Yehudah and
Chizkiyah, sons of R. Chiya;
(j) "U'Sh'arayich l'Avnei Ekdach" - as R. Yochanan taught.
2. One opinion says that this is Shoham, the other says
Yashfeh (precious stones of the Choshen).
3. Hash-m decides that it will be 'K'dein uke'Dein
(from "Kadchod", i.e. both will be used).
1. (R. Yochanan): Hash-m will bring gems and pearls 30
Amos by 30 Amos, and carve out a hole 10 Amos by 20
Amos, and erect them at the gates of Yerushalayim.
(k) Question (Beraisa - R. Meir): "Va'Olech Eschem Komemiyus"
- the gates will be 200 Amos tall, twice the Komah
(height) of Adam ha'Rishon;
2. A Talmid jeered: Today we don't find gems the size
of a small egg, will such giant gems be found?!
3. Shortly after this, he was on a boat (Ya'avetz -
used names of Hash-m,) and saw angels sawing holes
in gems, exactly like the dimensions that R.
Yochanan taught. He asked what they are for; they
answered, Hash-m will put them by the gates of
Yerushalayim in the future. He told R. Yochanan that
his teaching was correct.
4. R. Yochanan: Had you not seen it, you would not
believe it?! You mock the words of Chachamim!
i. R. Yochanan put his eyes on the Talmid, he
became a mound of bones.
1. R. Yehudah says, it will be 100 Amos, like the
height of Heichal and its wall - "Benoseinu
ch'Zaviyos Mechutavos Tavnis Heichal".
(l) Answer: R. Yochanan refers to the gates around the
windows in the wall.
(m) (Rabah): In the future, Hash-m will make seven canopies
for every Tzadik - "U'Vara Hash-m...Anan Yomam (1)
v'Ashan (2) v'Nogah (3) Esh (4) Lehavah (5) Laylah Ki Al
Kol Kavod Chupah (6). V'Sukah Tihyeh l'Tzel Yom (7)";
1. "Ki Al Kol Kavod" teaches that Hash-m makes a canopy
for everyone according to his honor.
(n) Question: Why is there smoke?
(o) Answer (R. Chanina): Anyone who is stingy with Chachamim
(does not want them to enjoy his property) in this world,
his eyes are filled with smoke in the world to come.
(p) Question: Why is there fire?
(q) Answer (R. Chanina): Everyone is singed by the canopy of
someone greater (he will regret that he did not attain
1. Woe, the shame a person will feel!
(r) Similarly: "V'Nasata me'Hodecha Alav" - but not all of
1. Chachamim of that generation said that Moshe's face
was radiant like the sun, Yehoshua's face was
radiant like the moon.
(s) (R. Chama b'Rebbi Chanina): Hash-m made 10 canopies for
Adam ha'Rishon - "Odem Pitdah v'Yahalom Tarshish Shoham
v'Yashfeh Sapir Nofech u'Varkas v'Zahav";
2. Woe, what shame (Shita - of Yehoshua, that he did
not reach Moshe's level; Iyun Yakov - of that
generation, had they merited, Yehoshua would have
reached the level of Moshe)!
(t) (R. Yochanan): The lowest of them is gold, for it is
(u) Question: What does "Meleches Tupecha u'Nkavecha Bach"
(v) Version #1 - Answer (Rav Yehudah): Hash-m told Chiram,
king of Tzur: I foresaw that you would claim to be G-d,
therefore I made man full of pores (Rashbam - for
(w) Version #2 - Answer (Rav Yehudah): Hash-m told Chiram,
king of Tzur: I foresaw that you would claim to be G-d,
therefore I decreed death on Adam ha'Rishon.
3) THE FUTURE YERUSHALAYIM
(i) Question: What does "V'Al Mikra'eha" mean?
4) ACQUISITION OF A SHIP
(j) Answer (R. Yochanan): Yerushalayim of this world is not
like Yerushalayim of the world to come;
1. In this world, anyone who wants can come to
Yerushalayim; in the world to come, one must be
(k) (Rabah): In the future, Tzadikim will be called by
Hash-m's name - "Kol ha'Nikra bi'Shmi v'Lichvodi
(l) (R. Shmuel bar Nachmani): Three are called by Hash-m's
name - Tzadikim (as above), Mashi'ach and Yerushalayim.
1. Mashi'ach - "V'Zeh Shemo Asher Yikre'o Hash-m
(m) (R. Elazar): In the future, (angels) will say 'Kadosh' in
front of Tzadikim (Etz Yosef - those that remain alive at
the time of revival of the dead), just as they say in
front of Hash-m - "Ha'Nish'ar...Kodesh Ye'amer Lo".
2. Yerushalayim - "V'Shem ha'Ir mi'Yom Hash-m Shamah".
(n) (Rabah): In the future, Hash-m will lift Yerushalayim
three Parsa'os - "v'Ra'amah v'Yashvah Sachteha";
1. Question: What does it mean "Sachteha"?
(o) Suggestion: Perhaps it will be difficult to ascend to
2. Answer: Like the area Tachteha (underneath).
3. Question: How do we know that the area underneath is
4. Answer (Rabah): An elder (Ya'avetz - Eliyahu) who
had seen the first Yerushalayim told me, it was
(p) Rejection: "Ka'Av Te'ufenah".
1. (Rav Papa): This teaches that clouds are three
Parsa'os above the ground.
(q) (R. Chanina bar Papa): Hash-m wanted to put a measure
(limit) to Yerushalayim - "Lamod Es Yerushalayim...";
1. The angels protested: You did not put a measure to
cities of Nochrim, will You put a measure to
Yerushalayim, that contains Your name, Your Mikdash
(r) (Reish Lakish): In the future Hash-m will add to
Yerushalayim 169,000 gardens, 210,000 towers, 146,000
buildings, 345,690 small buildings (Ra'avad - 1,000
locked gardens, 1,000 locked towers, 1,000 locked
2. "Rutz...Perazos Teshev Yerushalayim"
1. Each of these will be like Tzipori when it was
(s) Question: What does it mean "...Shalosh u'Shloshim
2. (Beraisa - R. Yosi): Tzipori had 180,000 markets
(t) Answer (R. Levi): If the future Yerushalayim will be
three times as big as the old, each building will have 30
stories; if it will be 30 times as big, each building
will have three stories.
(i) (Rav): Meshichah (pulling) a ship any amount acquires it;
(j) (Shmuel): He must pull it its own length.
(k) Suggestion: They argue like the following Tana'im.
1. (Beraisa): Mesirah (handing over to transfer
ownership): if the buyer grabbed it by the hoof,
hair, saddle or sack on it, bit in the mouth, or
bell on its neck, he acquired it;
(l) Rejection #1: Rav can even be like R. Achi.
2. Meshichah: He calls to it and it comes, or he hits
it and it runs in front of him - once it moves a
foreleg and hind leg, he acquires;
3. R. Achi says, it must move all its legs.
4. Suggestion: Rav holds like the first Tana, Shmuel
holds like R. Achi.
1. R. Achi only said regarding an animal that moving a
foreleg and hind leg does not suffice, for the
animal remains in its place; regarding a ship,
moving any amount moves the entire ship.
(m) Rejection #2: Shmuel can even be like the first Tana.
1. The first Tana only said regarding an animal that
moving a foreleg and hind leg suffices, for then it
surely will go; regarding a ship, he must move it