REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Bava Kama 92
(a) What does our Mishnah learn from the Pasuk in Vayeira (in connection
with Avimelech and Sarah) ...
(b) What does the Tana say about Reuven who asks Shimon to blind his eye or
to cut off his arm, and Shimon complies?
- ... "ve'Atah Hashev Eishes ha'Ish ... ve'Yispalel Ba'adcha"?
- ... "Va'yispalel Avraham el ha'Elokim"?
(c) Will it make any difference if Reuven added the words 'al-M'nas
(d) What is the Din if Reuven asks Shimon ...
- ... to break *his jar* and he complies?
- ... to break his jar, but he adds 'al-M'nas Li'ftor'?
- ... any of the above cases *to Levi* or to Levi's property?
(a) Our Mishnah obligates the Mazik to ask the Nizak for forgiveness. If
this does not pertain to Bo'shes, for which he has already paid, to what
does it pertain?
(b) What problem does the Tana have with the Pasuk "ve'Atah Hashev Eishes
ha'Ish Ki Navi Hu"?
(c) Rebbi Shmuel bar Nachmeni Amar Rebbi Yonasan therefore explains that
Avimelech had to return Sarah in any event.
How does he then explain the
phrase "Ki Navi Hu"?
(d) What do we learn from here with regard to a Nochri's obligations?
(a) "Ki Atzor Atzar Hashem be'Ad Kol Rechem be'Veis Avimelech".
to Rebbi Elazar, the double expression teaches us that the Shichvas Zera of
the men was stopped.
How about the women?
(b) According to a Beraisa, there were two stoppages by men and three by
women, and according to Ravina, there were three by men and four, by women.
Which extra stoppage affected both men and women ...
(c) What does Rebbi Yanai say about the chickens of Avimelech's household?
- ... according to the Beraisa?
- ... according to Ravina, over and above the previous one?
(a) Rabah bar Mari learns from Iyov that if someone Davens on behalf of his
friend and he needs the same thing, is answered first.
From where does
Rava learn it?
(b) What Rabah bar Mari learns from the Pasuk in Yirmiyah "Lamah Sarivu
Elai, Kulchem Pesha'tem Bi ... " (including the Navi), Rava learns from the
Pasuk "Ad Masai Me'antem Li'shmor Mitzvosai ... ".
What does he learn from
(c) Why does Rava prefer his sources to those of Rabah bar Mari?
(a) Rabah bar Mari explained that the Pasuk in Vayigash "u'Miktzeh Echav
refers to Dan, Zevulun, Gad, Asher, and Naftali.
How did he categorize
(b) Yosef picked specifically these five to present to Par'oh for the same
reason that Moshe doubled their names.
What is that?
(c) But does Yehudah's name not also occur twice in the same Parshah?
(a) What does Rebbi Shmuel bar Nachmeini Amar Rebbi Yonasan learn from the
Pasuk in ve'Zos ha'Berachah ...
(b) Why did Yehudah in fact, confess?
- ... "Y'chi Reuven ve'Al Yamos ... ve'Zos li'Yehudah"?
- ... "Sh'ma Hashem Kol Yehudah"?
- ... "ve'El Amo Tevi'enu"?
- ... "Yadav Rav Lo"?
- ... "ve'Eizer mi'Tzarav Tih'yeh"?
(a) Rabah bar Mari learned from the Mishnah in Bikurim the folk-saying that
poverty follows the poor.
Answers to questions
What does the Tana say there about the baskets
in which the rich and the poor brought their Bikurim to Yerushalayim?
(b) What happened to their respective baskets?
(c) Rava learns the same thing from a Pasuk in Tazri'a concerning a Metzora
leaving the camp.
(a) What does Rabah bar Mari learn from the Pasuk in Yeshayah "Lo Yir'avu,
ve'Lo Yitz'ma'u ve'Lo Yakem Sharav va'Shamesh"?
(b) Rava learns it from the Pasuk in Beshalach.
How does he Darshen the
(c) How does the Beraisa interpret "Machlah"?
- ... "va'Avadtem es Hashem Elokeichem"?
- ... "u'Veirach es Lachmecha ve'es Meimecha"?
- ... "va'Hasirosi Machlah mi'Kirbecha"?
(d) How does this tie up with the numerical value of the word?
(a) What did Rabah bar Mari learn from the Pasuk ...
(b) How did ...
- ... "va'Yomar, Hagar Shifchas Sarai Ei mi'Zeh Ba's ... va'Tomar, Mipnei Sarai Gevirti Anochi Borachas"?
- ... "va'Yomar, Eved Avraham Anochi"?
- ... "ve'Heitiv Hashem la'Adoni ve'Zacharta es Amasecha" (Avigayil to David)?
- ... Rabah bar Mari learned the folk-saying 'Sixty pains reach the tooth that hears its friend eating whilst it itself is not eating', from a statement of Nasan ha'Navi?
- ... Rava learn it from Avraham and Yitzchak?
(a) What did Rabah bar Mari learn from ...
(b) What did Rabah bar Mari learn from the Pasuk in ben Siyra "Birds of a
feather flock together" concerning date-palms?
- ... the fact that the Pasuk in Pinchas explains how Hashem instructed Moshe to place his hand on Yehoshua, to fill him with wisdom, in order that Yisrael should listen to him, and the Pasuk in ve'Zos ha'Berachah relates how Moshe placed his hands on Yehoshua ... ?
- ... the Pasuk in Mishlei " ... ve'Nefesh Re'eivah Kol Mar Masok"?
(c) What did he reply when Rava initially asked him for the source?
(d) How did he derive it ...
- ... in the Chumash from Yishmael?
- ... in Nevi'im from Yiftach?
(a) What does the Mishnah in Keilim say about 'Kol ha'Mechubar ...
And from where did Rabah bar Mari derive the saying ...
(b) What does Rebbi Eliezer in a Beraisa prove from the fact that the
starling went to nest with the raven?
- ... el ha'Tamei'?
- ... el ha'Tahor'? What are the ramifications of this ruling?
(c) What did Rabah bar Mari learn from the Pasuk ...
(d) From whom did Rabah bar Mari derive the folk-saying 'If you will help me
carry the load I will carry it, otherwise, I won't'?
- ... in Yechezkel "Ya'an Tihartich ve'Lo Tihart mi'Tum'asech, Lo Titahari Od" (in connection with someone who fails to respond to rebuke)?
- ... "ve'Lo Sesa'ev Mitzri Ki Ger Hayisa be'Artzo" (in connection with a pit from whose water one drank)?
Answers to questions
- ... 'When we were young we were like men, and now that we have grown-up, we are like children'?
- ... 'Go after a wealthy man and you will draw fat'?