|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1a) [line 5] HILCHESA - the Halachah in practice
2) [line 9] MOSAR SHELISH BI'SECHARCHA - [the profits that are] more than a third [of the value of the capital] will be your wage [for managing the money or assets]
3) [line 13] REISH EGLA LI'FETUMA - the head of the calf is given to the one who fattens it (in return for his labor and food expenses)
4) [line 18] GAVIL L'SORA, GAVIL L'SOREI - when you mix [feed] for one ox, [you can just as well] mix for several oxen
5) [line 19] HEGRONIYA - a Babylonian town, the home of several scholars
7) [line 22] ALISA - the tail (i.e. fatty meat)
9a) [line 31] ASONOS - donkeys
11) [line 40] SHE'SHINEHA DAKOS - its teeth are small and cannot chew grass well; consequently, it must stay with its mother for a longer period of time, and it needs the care of the shepherd
12) [line 43] KUTA'EI - [fully observant] Jews from Kuta (Cutha) (RAV YAKOV EMDEN)
13) [line 43] AVUD ISKA BAHADEI HADADEI - they conducted an investment partnership with each other
14) [line 46] ZAVUN CHAMRA - bought wine
16) [line 1] ZUZEI, MI SHAKIL TAVEI V'SHAVIK CHASEREI?! - in the case of money, did he (the other partner) take good coins and leave deficient coins?!
17) [line 3] BASIM - sweet, tasty
19) [line 6] HAVA MOGAR ZUZEI BI'PESHITA (B'YOMA) [L'YOMA] - he used to rent out Zuzim coins for the price of a Peshita (1/8th of a Zuz) per day
20) [line 8] MARA - (O.F. fossoir) a hoe
23) [line 11] HEILACH ARBA'AH ZUZEI V'OZFEI LI'PELANYA ZUZEI - "Here for you are four Zuzim, and you should lend money to Ploni."
24) [line 14] SHAKIL LACH ARBA'AH ZUZEI V'EMOR LEI LI'PLONI L'OZFAN ZUZEI - "Take for you these four Zuzim and tell Ploni to lent me money."
25) [line 17] HAVAH SHAKIL OGNA D'KIRA ME'KIRA'EI - he would take cakes of wax (that were cut in utensils that resembled pans, "Ogna") from wax merchants
26) [line 27] MAFRIZ (alt. MAFRIN) - he may increase [the fee for his field]
30) [line 36] D'TZAVU BAH INSHEI - because it makes people desire it
32) [line 39] AGRA U'FAGRA - payment for rent and payment for damages
33) [line 42] TZON BARZEL - lit. iron sheep, i.e. sheep that retain their value.
(a) The Mishnah later (70b) states that one may not accept "Tzon Barzel" assets from
another Jew. In a "Tzon Barzel" agreement, the recipient who manages the money is
responsible to compensate the owner for any decrease in value of his assets.
Consequently, the money (or assets) that he received from the owner is considered a
loan, and any profits that the recipient makes and gives to the owner is like
interest being paid for the loan.
34) [line 44] LEFI SHE'LO ASA'AH DAMIM - because he did not appraise its value [and have the renter accept the responsibility to return it in full]