|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 10] ROV HA'NIR'EH LA'EINAYIM - a majority that is noticeable to the eyes. This means: (a) more than half (until now in our Sugya, "Mechtza Al Mechtza," i.e. exactly half, was only *considered* a majority; now Rava rules that we require an actual majority, which even includes a hairbreadth more than half) (RAMBAM, RASHBA, RAN, SHULCHAN ARUCH YD 21:1); (b) an actual, noticeable majority, and not just more than half (RASHI, MORDECHAI, see TAZ to SHULCHAN ARUCH ibid.)
2) [line 11] TEREIFAH, DEB'MASHEHU MITARFA - an animal can be classified as a Tereifah with only a minute defect (e.g. in the esophagus, lungs or intestines)
3) [line 16] PESACH (PESACH SHENI)
4a) [line 18] MECHETZEH AL MECHETZEH K'ROV - exactly half of the people
Temei'im and exactly half of them Tehorim is considered like a majority [of
the people being Temei'im] (and the ones who are Temei'im do not bring their
Korbanos on Pesach Sheni. Rather, the Tehorim bring their Korbanos b'Taharah
and the Temei'im bring their Korbanos b'Tum'ah on the fourteenth of Nisan --
5) [line 20] "ISH ISH KI YIHEYEH TAMEI LA'NEFESH..." - "[Speak to the children of Yisrael saying,] 'If any man shall be Tamei because of a dead body [or be on a distant road, whether you or your [future] generations, he shall make the Pesach [Sheni] Offering to HaSh-m. In the second month (Iyar), on the fourteenth day in the afternoon they shall do it; with Matzos and bitter herbs they shall eat it.']" (Bamidbar 9:10-11)
6) [line 23] HaKaSH PaSHaCH SIMAN - this is a mnemonic device to remember the names of the six Amora'im who deal with the problem of why the Mishnah repeats the Halachah of cutting the majority of one Siman in a bird, as follows:
(a) Some words in the Torah, based on the Mesorah (the authoritative "Tradition"), are read differently from the way that they are written. There is no question how the verse is to be read when reading the Torah, since the Mesorah specifies a certain way of reading it. However, the Tana'im argue over how to learn Halachos from such verses. "Yesh Em la'Masores" means that we learn Halachos from the verse based on the way it is written; "Yesh Em la'Mikra" means that we learn Halachos from the verse based on the way it is read.
(b) For example, according to the Mesorah, the word "ba'Sukos" (which appears three times in the verses regarding Sukah in Parashas Emor) is written once with a "Vav," implying our pronunciation of "ba'Sukos" (plural), and twice without a Vav, implying the pronunciation "b'Sukas" (singular), which is not the way that we read it. We pronounce the word as "ba'Sukos" all three times, according to the Mesorah.
(c) Similarly, in our Sugya, the word written in the Torah is "Tizbachuhu" (Vayikra 19:5), with only one letter "Vav." This leads to the Derashah of "Tizbach" in the singular (a singular Shochet) and "Hu" in the singular (a singular Korban).
8) [line 47] HEVI'U LO ES HA'TAMID - they brought him (the Kohen Gadol) the
Korban ha'Tamid (AVODAS YOM HA'KIPURIM B'CHOHEN GADOL)
9) [line 48] KERATZO - (lit. he cut it) he slaughtered the Korban Tamid by cutting the majority of the trachea and esophagus, which is the minimum amount required
10a) [line 48] MEIREK ACHER SHECHITAH - a different Kohen finished the
Shechitah (since the Kohen Gadol must perform the Kabalas ha'Dam)
11) [line 8] YESHNAH LI'SHECHITAH MI'TECHILAH V'AD SOF - the entire act of slaughtering, from beginning to end (and not just the final bit of the Shechitah, which is the opinion "Einah li'Shechitah Ela ba'Sof") constitutes Shechitah.
12) [line 12] HEICHA D'MALIK SIMAN ECHAD L'MATAH V'SIMAN ECHAD L'MALAH - where the Kohen performed Melikah on one Siman of the Olas ha'Of (see Background to Chulin 21:16b:c) standing on the floor of the Azarah (lit. below [the Chut ha'Sikra]) and then on the other Siman while standing on the Sovev (lit. above [the Chut ha'Sikra]). (The Melikah of the Olas ha'Of must be entirely performed on the Sovev.)
13) [line 14] ASAH BAH MA'ASEH CHATAS HA'OF L'MATAH - he performed [on the Olas ha'Of] an action of the Chatas ha'Of (the Melikah of which must be performed while standing on the floor of the Azarah; see Background to Chulin 21:5) below [the Chut ha'Sikra]
14) [line 15] SHE'SHACHAT SIMAN ECHAD BA'CHUTZ V'SIMAN ECHAD BIFNIM
15) [line 26] PARAH (PARAH ADUMAH)
16) [line 27] METAM'IN BEGADIM - the service of the Parah Adumah (see previous entry) is Metamei the people involved in it, as well as any clothes or utensils that they are touching at the time, giving them the status of "Rishon l'Tum'ah"
17) [line 27] POSLIN OSAH BI'MELACHAH ACHERES - performing another action while slaughtering the Parah Adumah, such as cutting a gourd, invalidates the Parah (Chulin 32a, SIFREI Chukas 19:3)
18) [line 30] B'HAZA'ASAH - at the time that its blood is sprinkled in the direction of the Beis ha'Mikdash seven times