|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] CHARTA D'ARGIZ - the city of Charta which was built by Argiz the sorcerer, located adjacent to Baghdad
2) [line 2] SAR SAKINA - inspected a knife for Shechitah
6) [line 11] USHPIZICHNEI - his innkeeper, host
9) [line 19] IGLA TILTA - (a) a third-grown calf (that has reached one-third of its full growth and is particularly tasty) (RASHI); (b) a calf that has reached one-third of its expected *lifespan*, at which time it has reached its *full* growth (RASHI Sanhedrin 65b); (c) a calf which is a cow's third offspring which is well developed and fat (RASHI ibid., Shabbos 11a, Pesachim 68b); (d) a calf that is healthy and good to eat (TOSFOS Gitin 56a). (See Insights to Shabbos 136)
10) [line 21] LO LEICHUSH LEI L'SABA? - should we not consider the honor of [Rav Acha Bar Ya'akov,] the Elder?
11) [line 25] ASCHILU BI'CHVODO - they raised the issue of honoring him
20) [line 44] "... IM CHAMAS ZOCHALEI AFAR" - "... with the poison of things that crawl in the dust (i.e. snakes)." (Devarim 32:24)
21) [line 46] IRA HA'YA'IRI - one of the great Torah sages and advisors of King David (TARGUM YONASAN to Shmuel II 20:26). He is Ira ben Ikesh ha'Teko'i (Shmuel II 23:26), who was called ha'Ya'iri because (a) one of his ancestors was named Ya'ir; or (b) Teko'a, his city, was known for its abundant production of olive oil (Menachos 85b). Olive oil at the time was the best source of lamplight, and the word "Ya'ir" means he/it will give light (RADAK to Shmuel II 20:26).
22) [line 49] MESHAGER - send
24) [line 53] KOL D'MOSIV MILAH KAMEI RABEI - anyone who answers a Halachic question in the presence of his Rebbi
*25*) [line 13] ASURIN B'TASHMISH HA'MITAH - that is, the Gemara is assuming that Yehoshua did not have children because he kept them from having children, one night -- and not because he kept them from learning Torah that night. The reason for this is that the Gemara is trying to find a sin for which Yehoshua's punishment will be Midah k'Neged Midah (Maharsha, in Chidushei Agados)
26) [line 17] KIL'A - a room
28) [line 23] OGAR LAN RESHUSECH - rent us your share in the courtyard