BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafEruvin 64
1) [line 2] D'MACHREZINAN - if we make an announcement [that the Eruv does
not have any effect]
2) [line 3] ACHRAZTA L'DARDEKEI?! - does an announcement help for children
that are yet to be born?!
3) [line 4] LIKRIV LEI - he should try to become the non-Jew's friend
4a) [line 5] SECHIRO - a regular hired laborer
b) [line 5] LEKITO - a hired laborer at reaping and harvesting time
5) [line 16] LO TZILA DA'ATA'I - my mind is not clear
6) [line 18] "[ISH OHEV CHOCHMAH YISAMACH AVIV,] V'RO'EH ZONOS YE'ABED HON"
- "[He who loves wisdom gladdens his father,] but he who keeps company with
harlots wastes his wealth." (Mishlei 29:3) - This is the only place in the
Tanach where the word Zonos appears with two letters Vav. The word is broken
into two parts and read Zo (this) Na'eh (is pleasing). (The second Vav is
exchanged for the letters Alef and Heh, whose Gematriya is 6 = Vav.) Hence
the Gemara learns from this verse that if a person says that a Torah
teaching is pleasing, he will loose his wealth of Torah knowledge, since he
implies that there are other teachings that are not pleasing. The Tav at the
end of the word includes the instance when a person says that a particular
teaching is not pleasing (RASHI to Mishley ibid. and MAHARSHA here).
7a) [line 21] SHATUY - a person who is slightly intoxicated
b) [line 22] SHIKOR - a drunk
8) [line 26] HAVU KA MIPATREI ME'HADADI - were taking leave of each other
9) [line 26] MABERA - a ferry
10) [line 38] SHE'MITOCH KACH ZOCHRO - he thereby remembers him
11) [line 33] NICHSEI HA'GER
(a) When a Jew dies, his closest relatives inherit his estate (according to
the hierarchy established by the Torah as recorded in Bamidbar 27:8-11).
Since all of the Jews are related to each other (at least through Yakov
Avinu and his sons), every Jew must have at least one heir. A convert,
however, may have no heirs (since his non-Jewish relatives do not inherit
his estate). When a convert dies without heirs, his estate becomes Hefker
(ownerless). The first person who takes possession of his belongings becomes
(b) In order to take possession of the estate of a convert who dies without
any heirs, one must make a Ma'aseh Kinyan (a formal Halachically-binding act
of possession), as in all cases of taking possession of items that are
Hefker. The forms of Ma'aseh Kinyan that may be used are: for Metaltelin
(movable goods) - (1) Hagbahah, i.e. lifting an item; (2) Meshichah (lit.
pulling), i.e. causing an item to move; (3) Chatzer, i.e. bringing the item
into his domain; for Mekarka'in (real estate) - Chazakah, i.e. performing an
act that is normally performed by an owner.
(c) Examples of Chazakah are Na'al (locking), Gadar (fencing in) and Paratz
(making a breach in a fence to create an entrance) or any act that is done
to *enhance* the land, such as digging to improve a field and the like
(Mishnah Bava Basra 42a).
12) [line 1] AVAD ISKA V'RAVACH - he made a business deal that profited
*13*) [line 2] AFILU MATZA METZI'AH - that is, even though he didn't work
hard at all to obtain the object, he should still take care not to lose it
by investing in a Mitzvah (CHIDUSHEI HA'MEIRI)
14) [line 6] MEFIGIN ES HA'YAYIN - weaken and remove the effect of the wine
15) [line 9] TORADTO - confounds him
16) [line 12] KEZIV - a sea-town located to the north of Akko
17) [line 13] GELUSKIN - loaves of delicate breads made from fine white
18) [line 15] MAVGAI - a Samaritan name
19) [line 15] NITPAL LO REBBI ILA'I - Rebbi Ila'i went alongside Mavgai
20) [line 17] BURGANIN - huts
21) [line 17] MAVGAI SHAMNI - my name is Mavgai
22) [line 26] YAYIN HA'ITALKI - Italian wine (which is stronger than regular
23) [line 28] SULMA SHEL TZOR - the Ladder of Tyre (Scala Tyriorum), a
promontory south of Tyre on the southern coast of Lebanon
24) [line 43] POSCHIN B'CHARATAH
(a) The laws of Nedarim (vows) are described in the Torah in Bamidbar 30:2-
17. If a person makes a vow not to eat a certain food and he eats from that
food after being warned by two witnesses not to, he gets Malkos.
(b) When a person makes a Neder or Nezirus, he may have it revoked by a Beis
Din of three (if they are not outstanding authorities) or a Yachid Mumcheh
(an outstanding authority). The general method used is that Beis Din
investigates whether the one who made the Neder would not have made the
Neder in the first place had he been aware of a particular fact.
25) [line 45] "YESH BOTEH K'MADKEROS CHEREV ..." - "There is one who speaks
like the stabs of a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."
26) [line 50] V'A'PETITIN LO AVDAN? - do they not perform witchcraft on
pieces of bread?
27) [line 50] "VA'TECHALELNAH OSI EL AMI ..." - "And will you profane Me
among my people for handfuls of barley and for pieces of bread ..."
(Yechezkel 13:19) - Those who practice witchcraft profane the name of HaSh-
m, as it states in Chulin 7b.
28) [last line] D'SHAKLEI B'AGRAIHU - they would take pieces of bread for