|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] CHAVRA/CHABARA - a member of the Chavrei/Chabarei: (a) a Persian nation (RASHI to Shabbos 11a); (b) a nation that lived at the time of the Persian dynasty (RASHI to Shabbos 45a); (c) a nation that came to Bavel at the time of Rebbi Yochanan and that lived under the rule of the Sassinid Persians (TOSFOS Shabbos 11a DH v'Lo Tachas Chaver); (d) Persian priests who were very wicked towards the Jews (ARUCH, TOSFOS Shabbos 11a DH v'Lo Tachas Chaver in the name of RABEINU YA'AKOV MI'KURVIL). The Persians were initially tolerant towards other religions, including the Jews (treating them even better than the Babylonians did) and they employed Jews in all levels of government and society. Later, the Persians adopted the religion of Zoroastrianism, worshipping light and dark, and became less tolerant of the Jews, at times persecuting them.
2) [line 1] SHAKLAH LI'SHERAGA MI'KAMAIHU - he took away their candle
4) [line 3] AROMA'EI - Romans
7) [line 20] ZIMNIN - a different time
10) [line 33] GITIN - documents
11) [last line] PEIROS (NICHSEI MILUG)
1. Possessions that the wife owned before marriage, the values of which were estimated and written in the Kesuvah, to be returned to her in full upon divorce or the husband's death. These are called Nichsei Tzon Barzel ("Iron Flock Properties") because their value does not change between the time of marriage and the time of divorce or the husband's death.
12) [line 11] ME'EIMASAI MOTZI'IN L'FEIROS - From when do we collect [from buyers] the produce [of the woman's property, which the husband sold illegally; at one point does the divorce take effect with regard to his right to sell the produce of he property]
13) [line 14] 3 GITIN PESULIM V'IM NISAS HA'VELAD KASHER - a Get written in one of three ways is invalid (mid'Rabanan), but nevertheless a child born from the subsequent marriage is legitimate
14) [line 15] MAH HO'ILU CHACHAMIM B'TAKANASAN? - what did the Chachamim accomplish with their enactment
15) [line 16] GAZYEI - if he cut of
18) [line 18] SHABBOS - the week