|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 7] MIDI D'KAYITZ - a payment where the amount is fixed. Me'ah Kesef is a fixed amount, as is the basic Ma'aseh Yadayim (Kesuvos 64a); therefore Chazal linked the two rather than linking Ma'aseh Yadayim with Mezonos which is not fixed.
2) [line 13] MISHKAL CHAMESH SELA'IM SHESI B'YEHUDAH - the weight of five Sela'im of Shesi (spun warp thread, the longitudinal thread of the loom, which is thinner and harder to make than the woof thread, the latitudinal thread) in Yehudah
3a) [line 13] YEHUDAH - the land of Yehudah, consisting of the lands south
of the ancient city of Antipatris, near the modern-day Rosh ha'Ayin
4) [line 18] "KONEM SHE'ANI OSAH L'FICHA" - "whatever I produce is forbidden for you to eat as if it were a Korban" (This is the way a vow, Neder, is worded.)
5) [line 19] L'HAFER (HAFARAS NEDARIM - Annulling vows)
6) [line 20] SHEMA TA'ADIF ALAV YESER MIN HA'RA'UY LO - lest she produce for him a larger quantity than she is obligated to give him. The Mishnah in Kesuvos (5:9) states that a woman must produce the weight of five Sela'im of Shesi (spun warp thread, the longitudinal thread of the loom, which is thinner and harder to make than the woof thread, the latitudinal thread) in Yehudah, which is the equivalent of ten Sela'im of Shesi in the Galil, or the weight of ten Sela'im of Erev (woof) in Yehudah, which is the equivalent of twenty Sela'im of Erev in the Galil.
*7*) [line 23] KI AMAR SHMUEL HALACHAH K'REBBI YOCHANAN BEN NURI, L'HA'ADAFAH - When Shmuel said that the Halachah is like Rebbi Yochanan ben Nuri, he only said that with regard to the surplus that the woman produces, but not with regard to what she produces after she is divorced. [That is, Shmuel holds that a Neder does not take effect on an object that does not yet exist, such as what she produces after he divorces her. However, the Neder can take effect on the surplus work that she produces at present, even before she is divorced. (The Gemara could have asked at this point that although the surplus *could* be produced at present, it does not exist in the world until it is *actually* produced -- RASHI, see Tosfos.)]
8) [line 27] KONAMOS (NEDARIM) - items that have been forbidden by a Neder The laws of Nedarim (vows) are described in the Torah in Bamidbar 30:2-17. If a person makes a vow not to eat a certain food and he eats from that food after being warned by two witnesses not to, he is punished with Malkos.
9) [line 34] "YIKADSHU YADAI L'OSEIHEM" - "my hands shall be consecrated to their Maker (RASHI to Kidushin 63a, TOSFOS DH Yikadshu), such that what they produce will be Hekdesh." [By making a Neder in this fashion, the Neder can take effect on products of the hands which the hands have not yet produced and do not yet exist, since the Neder takes effect on the hands, which do exist already.]
10) [line 37] D'ILU HASHTA LO KADISH - which one cannot make Hekdesh at the
12) [line 1] SHE'MASHKANTI LACH - which I leased to you
13) [line 10] KEDUSHAS HA'GUF (KEDUSHAS DAMIM / KEDUSHAS HA'GUF)
15) [line 11] HEKDESH CHAMETZ V'SHICHRUR MAFKI'IN M'YDEI SHI'ABUD
1. If the Apotiki is an animal that is fit to become a Korban and the owner designates it as such. (That is, the owner grants the object "Kedushas ha'Guf la'Mizbe'ach." If the Apotiki itself is not fit to be brought on the Mizbe'ach, and its owner declares that it should be sold and its *value* should be Kodesh ("Kedushas Damim"), or that it should be used for filling the day to day needs of the Beis ha'Mikdash and not for Korbanos ("Kedushas Bedek ha'Bayis), this does not repeal the Shi'abud -- RASHI, see however RAMBAM Hil. Erchin 7:14).
16) [line 12] ALMUHA RABANAN L'SHI'ABUDEI D'VA'AL - the Chachamim strengthened the husband's lien - so that his Shi'abud should not be nullified
17) [line 16] MATZA'AS LO HA'MITAH - she prepares his bed (That is, she not just spreads the sheets out for him, but sets up the bed in a manner that requires a certain amount of effort -- RASHI 61a DH Aval.)
18) [line 16] OSAH B'TZEMER - she spins wool
20) [line 22] KOFAH LA'ASOS B'TZEMER - he may force her to spin wool
23) [line 25] SHI'AMUM - insanity
25) [line 26] MATCHENES - to prepare the wheat for grinding
28) [line 30] SHE'YE'ADEN ES ISHTO - to make his wife beautiful
33) [line 36] V'IM HAYAH MAKIRAH - if the baby recognizes her already, and will not readily go to a nursemaid
34) [line 39] V'KIYEM LAH HU - see above 5a
36) [line 42] MECHAVARTA - it is clear