|(Permission is granted to redistribute this material as long as the Kollel
header and the subscription info at the end are included.)
CHARTS FOR LEARNING THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Megilah Chart #4
Megilah Daf 9a
IN WHICH LANGUAGES MAY THE DIFFERENT SEFARIM BE WRITTEN?
(1) Everyone agrees that the Megilah must be written only in Ashuris, for the
verse says, "... as they are written" (Esther 9:27).
(2) Everyone agrees that Tefilin and Mezuzos must be written only in Ashuris,
for the verse says, "... they shall be..." (Devarim 6:6).
(3) Yevanis is permitted, for the verse says, "Hashem will beautify Yefes
(Yavan), and he will dwell in the tents of Shem (Yisrael)" (Bereishis 9:27).
(4) According to Rebbi Yehudah, the Chachamim permitted Yevanis only because
of the incident with Ptolemy (in which the Jews were forced to translate the
Torah into Yevanis), and not because of the verse describing the beauty of
Yefes (above, fn. 3). Therefore, only the Torah itself, which was translated
for Ptolemy, may be written in Yevanis.
(5) The Gemara concludes that the *Beraisa* cited on 8b is expressing either
the opinion of Rebbi Yehudah and is referring to Nevi'im and Kesuvim, or the
opinion of everyone and is referring to Megilah.
For questions or sponsorship information, write to email@example.com