POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Megilah 14
MEGILAH 14 (Yom Kipur 5760) - Dedicated by Dovid and Zahava Rubner of Petach
Tikva. May Hashem grant them and all of their offspring with joy,
fulfillment, and all that they need!
1) THE SALE OF YISRAEL
(a) (R. Aba): Haman and Achashverosh resemble two men, one
with a mound in his field, the other with a ditch.
2) THE 55 PROPHETS
1. The man with the ditch said, who would sell me this
(b) "The king took off his ring" (R. Aba Bar Kahana): The
removal of the ring was greater than 48 male and 7 female
prophets that prophesized to Yisrael, since all of them
did not return us in Teshuvah, whereas the removal of the
ring returned us in Teshuvah.
2. The man with the mound said, who would sell me this
ditch? In time, they met. The ditch owner said: Sell
me your mound.
3. Mound owner: If only you should take it for free!
(c) (Beraisa): 48 male and 7 female prophets prophesized to
Yisrael, and they did not detract nor add to the Torah,
except for reading the Megilah.
(d) Question: What was their source?
(e) Answer (R. Chiya Bar Avin): If we sing Shira for going
from slavery to freedom, all the more so for going from
death to life!
(f) Question: If so, we should also say Hallel!
(g) Answer#1: We do not say Hallel on a miracle in Chutz
1. Question: The exodus from Egypt was in Chutz
la'Aretz, and we say Shira!
(h) Answer#2 (Rav Nachman): Reading the Megilah is like
2. Answer (Beraisa): Before we entered Eretz Yisrael,
all lands were fit to say Shira; after we entered
Eretz Yisrael, they were disqualified from saying
(i) Answer#3 (Rava): By the exodus, we became "Slaves of
Hashem" and not slaves of Paro; here, can we say we
became "Slaves of Hashem" and not slaves of Achashverosh?
We remained his slaves!
(j) Question: The Beraisa opposes both Rava and Rav Nachman -
after we entered Eretz Yisrael, other lands were
disqualified from saying Shira!
(k) Answer: Once we were exiled, they became Kosher again to
(a) Question: Are there no more? It says, "There was a man
from Ramasayim Tzufim" - one of 200 prophets who
prophesized to Yisrael!
3) THE 7 FEMALE PROPHETS: SARAH, MIRYAM, DEVORAH, CHANAH, AVIGAYIL, CHULDAH
(b) Answer: There were more as was taught in a Beraisa: Many
prophets stood up for Yisrael, 1.2 million; a prophecy
which was needed for generations was written, one which
was not needed for future generations was not written.
(c) (R. Shmuel Bar Nachmani): He came from two *Ramos*
(hills) which *Tzofos* (see) each other.
(d) (R. Chanin): A man that came from people that stand at
the height of the world - the sons of Korach, as it says,
"The sons of Korach did not die."
(e) (Beraisa - Rebbi): A place was made for them in Gehenom,
and they stood upon it.
(a) Sarah, as it says "The father of Milkah and Yiskah".
1. (R. Yitzchak): This is Sarah; she is called Yiskah,
because *Saksah* (she saw) with Ruach haKodesh, as
it says, "Everything which Sarah will say to you,
listen to her voice".
(b) Miryam, as it says "And took Miryam the prophetess, the
sister of Aharon".
2. Another explanation: She is called Yiskah, because
all *Sochin* (look at) her beauty.
1. Question: Is she the sister of Aharon, and not the
sister of Moshe?
(c) Devorah, as it says "And Devorah, a female prophet, the
wife of Lapidos".
2. Answer (Rav): She prophesized when she was the
sister of Aharon, and said, my mother will have a
child that will save Yisrael.
3. When he was born the house filled with light; her
father kissed her on her head, and said, my
daughter, your prophecy has been fulfilled!
4. When Moshe was thrown in the river, her father hit
her on the head, and said to her, my daughter, where
is your prophecy?
5. This explains, "And his sister stood from afar, to
know" - to know, what will be the end of her
1. *Lapidos* - he used to make *Pesilos* (wicks) for
(d) Chanah, as it says, "And Chanah prayed, and said 'My
heart rejoices in Hashem, my horn is raised in Hashem'" -
my horn is raised, but not my flask - Dovid and Shlomo,
who were anointed with a horn, their kingship lasted;
Shaul and Yehu, who were anointed with flasks, their
kingships did not last.
2. Question: "And she sits under the palm tree" - what
is special about a palm tree?
3. Answer (R. Shimon Ben Avshalom): So she should not
be in seclusion with a man; alternatively, just as a
palm tree has only one *Lev* (spine), so Yisrael in
that generation had only one *Lev* (heart) to their
father in Heaven.
1. "There is none as holy as Hashem, since there is
none *Biltecha* (besides you)" (Rav Yehuda Bar
Menashe): Read *Livalosecha* (that endures longer)
(e) Avigayil, as it says "And she was riding on the donkey,
and descended in the hidden part of the mountain".
2. Hashem's way is unlike that of flesh and blood.
Flesh and blood, their works outlive them, but
Hashem outlives his works.
3. "There is no *Tzur* (rock) as our Lord" - there is
no *tzayar* (artisan) as our Lord. A person draws a
picture on a wall, and cannot put in it breath and a
soul, innards and intestines; but Hashem draws a
form within a form, and puts in it breath, a soul,
innards and intestines.
1. Question: It should say, from the mountain!
2. Answer (Raba Bar Shmuel): On matters of blood, which
comes from the hidden (internal) places.
3. She showed blood to him. Dovid: Do we inspect blood
4. Avigayil: Do we judge capital cases (to kill Naval)
5. Dovid: He is a rebel against the king and need not
be judged (at night).
(f) Chuldah, as it says, "And Chilkiyah the Kohen went, and
Achikam and Achbor ..."
6. Avigayil: Shaul is still alive, and you are not
known as the king.
7. Dovid: "Blessed is your reasoning, and blessed are
you, that you spared me today from coming in bloods"
- 2 bloods are implied.
8. She revealed her thigh, and Dovid went 3 Parsa in
9. Dovid: Hear me (consent to have relations).
10. Avigayil: "*This* should not be a pitfall for you"
- implying, there will be a pitfall - Bas Sheva, and
so it was.
11. "The soul of my master will be bound in the bind of
life". When she left him, she said "Hashem will do
good to my master, and you will remember your
12. (Rav Nachman): This is as people say, as a woman
talks, she weaves. Some say, a goose walks lowly,
but its eyes look far ahead.
1. Question: How could she prophecize in Yirmiyahu's
(g) Ester, as it says, "And on the 3rd day, Ester donned
2. Answer (Rav): She was his relative, and he did not
3. Question: Yoshiyah himself, how did he abandon
Yirmiyahu and send to her?
4. Answer#1 (R. Shilo): Because women are merciful.
5. Answer#2 (R. Yochanan): Yirmiyahu was not there, he
had gone to return the 10 tribes.
6. Question: How do we know that they returned?
7. Answer#1: It says, "The seller will not return to
what he sells." Can it be, the Yovel is void, and
the prophet prophesizes that it will become void?!
It must be, Yirmiyahu returned them.
i. Yoshiyahu Ben Amon ruled over them, as it says,
"And he said, what is this marker that I see?
The people of the city said to him, the grave
of the Divine man that came from Yehudah, and
said these things that you did on the altar in
8. Answer#2 (Rav Nachman): "Also Yehudah put a harvest
for you, in my returning the exile of my people.
ii. What is Yoshiyahu doing on the altar in Beis
Kel? Rather, it teaches that Yoshiyahu ruled
1. Question: It should say, royal clothing!
(h) Rav Nachman: haughtiness is not fitting for women. There
were 2 haughty women, and their names are loathed. One's
name is a bee; one is a weasel.
2. Answer: Rather, Ruach ha'Kodesh clothed her; it says
here, "she donned"; it says there, "A spirit clothed
1. Bee (Devorah), it says of her, "And she sent and
called to Barak" - she herself did not go to him.
(i) Rav Nachman: Chuldah descended from Yehoshua.
2. Weasel (Chuldah), it says of her, "Say to the man" -
she didn't say, "say to the king".
1. It says here (by Chuldah), "The son of Charchas";
there (by Yehoshua) it says "In Timnas Charas".
(j) Question (Rav Eina Sava): A Beraisa teaches, 8 prophets
who were Kohanim descended from Rachav the harlot -
Neriyah, Baruch, Serayah, Machsiyah, Yirmiyahu,
Chilkiyah, Chanamel and Shalom;
1. R. Yehuda says, also Chuldah - it says (by her), "A
son of Tikvah"; it says (by Rachav) "Tikvas (A
thread) of scarlet". (So she did not come from
(k) Answer (Rav Nachman): Between us, we will conclude the
teaching; she converted, and Yehoshua married her.
1. Question: Did Yehoshua really have children? It
says, "Nun his son, Yehoshua his son"(but no
2. Answer: He had no sons, but he had daughters.