POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Nazir 53
1) BONES OF A SPINE OR SKULL
2) 1/4 KAV OFBONES
1. Objection: But Rava himself said (in explaining a
Mishnah) 'this teaches about a spine or skull less
than the volume of 1/4 Kav'!
(b) Answer #2 (Beraisa): Shamai says, even from 1 bone of the
spine or skull.
2. Answer: Rava said that after hearing R. Akiva's
opinion (before this, he assumed that every spine
and skull exceeds 1/4 Kav).
(c) Rejection: We cannot bring a proof from Shamai, for he is
i. We see that the spine and skull are more
1. Suggestion: Let us prove the opposite - only Shamai,
who is stringent, says that they are more stringent;
Chachamim require 1/2 Kav!
2. Rejection: No - Chachamim only argue regarding 1
bone from the spine or skull - but they admit that
1/4 Kav suffices.
(a) (R. Eliezer): Some of the early sages said that 1/2 Kav
of bones or 1/2 Log of blood impart Tum'ah regarding
everything; 1/4 Kav of bones or 1/4 Log of blood do not
impart any Tum'ah;
3) TUM'OS A NAZIR DOES NOT SHAVE FOR
1. Other sages said that even 1/4 Kav of bones or 1/4
Log of blood impart Tum'ah regarding everything;
(b) Objection: We do not rule as a 3rd opinion (i.e. of later
sages; alternatively, a mediating opinion that
distinguishes between cases the earlier opinions did not
2. Later sages said that 1/2 Kav of bones or 1/2 Log of
blood impart Tum'ah regarding everything; 1/4 Kav
of bones or 1/4 Log of blood impart Tum'ah regarding
Terumah and Kodshim, but not regarding a Nazir or
one offering the Pesach sacrifice.
(c) Answer (R. Yakov bar Idi): Here we rule as the 3rd
opinion because they received the law from the last of
(a) (Mishnah): On these a Nazir shaves ...
(b) This phrase at the beginning of the Mishnah hints at
something he does not shave for - a bone the size of a
1. A Nazir only shaves if he touches or moves it, but
not for entering a tent with such a bone.
(c) This phrase at the end of the Mishnah hints at something
else he does not shave for - a Sechuchis stone (Tosfos -
a stone sticking out from a wall, and he does not know if
it towered over him and Tum'ah; Rashi - a stone on a
corpse or grave).
(d) (Mishnah): For 1/2 Kav of bones ...
(e) We infer, for 1/2 Kav, but not for 1/4 Kav.
4) A LIMB LACKING FLESH
(f) Question: What is the case?
1. Suggestion: If among them is a bone the size of a
barley seed, for that alone he must shave!
(g) Answer: The case is, the bones were ground up, and there
is no pieces the size of a barley seed.
(a) (Mishnah): For a limb from a corpse or a limb from a
living person that has enough flesh on it to sustain it
(if attached to a living person).
(b) Question: What is the law if it lacks this amount of
(c) Answer #1 (R. Yochanan): A Nazir does not shave for it.
(d) Answer #2 (Reish Lakish): A Nazir shaves for it.
1. R. Yochanan learns from our Mishnah - it says that
he shaves only if it has sufficient flesh!
(e) Question: What is the case of a limb from a corpse that
R. Yochanan and Reish Lakish argue on?
2. Reish Lakish learns from the fact that it is not
listed in the next Mishnah (54A) among things for
which a Nazir does not shave.
3. R. Yochanan says that this is no proof - anything
which can be inferred from beginning of the Mishnah
is not taught in the end of the Mishnah.
4. Objection #1: But our Mishnah teaches 1/2 Kav of
bones, and we infer, not for 1/4 Kav - yet 1/4 Kav
is taught in the next Mishnah!
5. Answer: 1/4 Kav had to be taught - otherwise, one
might have thought that he does not shave even for
touching or moving them!
i. The next Mishnah teaches that he is only
exempted from shaving for being in a tent with
6. Objection #2: But our Mishnah teaches 1/2 Log of
blood, and we infer, not for 1/4 Log - yet 1/4 Log
is taught in the next Mishnah!
7. Answer: 1/4 Log was taught to oppose R. Akiva, who
says that a Nazir shaves for touching or moving it.
1. Suggestion: If it contains a bone the size of a
barley seed - why does R. Yochanan say he does not
shave for it?
(f) Answer: Really, it lacks a bone the size of a barley
seed; still, the Torah says that he shaves for it.
2. Suggestion: If it does not have a bone the size of a
barley seed - why does Reish Lakish say that he
shaves for it?
1. Beraisa: "Anyone that will touch on the face of the
field, a body killed by a sword or a corpse ..."
i. "On the face of the field" - this teaches about
one who towers above a corpse.
ii. "A body killed" - this teaches about a limb
from a living person with sufficient flesh.
iii. "A sword " - this teaches that a sword that
killed a person is Tamei just as a corpse.
iv. "Or a corpse" - this teaches about a limb that
became detached from a corpse.
v. "Or a bone of a man" - this teaches about 1/4
Kav of bones.
vi. "Or a grave" - this teaches about a sealed