BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafNidah 57
We recommend using the textual changes suggested by the Bach, Rav B. Rensburg
and the parenthetical marginal notes of the Vilna Shas. This section is
devoted to any *OTHER* changes that we feel ought to be made in Gemara,
Rashi or Tosfos.)
 Rashi 57a DH Pera'os:
The words "Tachas *Eizehu* Mehen"
should be "Tachas *Eizeh* Mehen"
1) [line 4] "V'LIFNEI IVER LO SITEN MICHSHOL" - "Do not place a stumbling
block before the blind"(Vayikra 19:14). We learn from this Pasuk that it is
forbidden to cause another person to sin by giving him bad advice.
*2*) [line 5] B'CHOHEN OMED SHAM - that is, a non-Kusi Kohen, who has
associated with the Kusim and acts as they do, is standing there. (Kusim
themselves are Geirim and cannot be Kohanim)
3) [line 8] LO BEKI'EI B'YETZIRAH - when they bury a fetus that was
miscarried, they do not know whether it is a forty-day fetus (which is
Metamei) or a less-than-forty-day fetus (which is not Metamei). They assume
that it is not Metamei.
4) [line 11] GOZEZ V'OVED - Animals that are Kodesh may not be sheared or
worked with, as stated in Devarim 15:19. Therefore, if the Kusi is shearing
or working with the animal, we can be sure that it is not a Bechor.
5a) [line 12] TINUF
When a Behemah Dakah (sheep or goat) has a a discharge composed of
dissolved particles of blood, the discharge is actually a disintegrated
fetus. Therefore, the animals' next offspring is not a Bechor.
b) [line 12] LO BEKI'EI B'TINUF - they do not know which type of discharge
is a disintegrated fetus
6) [line 17] HA'MEISACH - that spreads it branches
7) [line 18] PERA'OS - jutting stones
8) [line 20] MENAPE'ACH ADAM - a person blows
9) [line 22] SHE'NIDASH - that was trampled
10) [line 24] MELO MA'ANAH - a furrow-length
*11*) [line 32] RETZU'AH NAFKA - That is, there is one thin stretch of the
field that extends from the main field (of which most people are not
aware), and the Kusi did not tread upon that small stretch of land.
Therefore the Kusi really didn't become Tamei for *certain*.
12) [last line] TECHUMIN
A person is only allowed to travel a distance of 2000 Amos from his city or
dwelling place (if he is not in a city) on Shabbos.
13) [last line] YAYIN NESECH
a) Wine that was poured as an idolatrous libation is Asur b'Hana'ah. This
is derived from the Pasuk in Ha'azinu (Devarim 32:38) "Asher Chelev
*Zevacheimo* Yochelu, Yishtu *Yein Nesicham*" which compares wine of
libation to an animal that was offered to Avodah Zarah.
(b) The Chachamim forbade the wine of a non-Jew that was *not* poured as a
libation (Stam Yeinam) out of fear that drinking wine together would lead
to intermarriage. In order to avoid confusion between Yayin Nesech and Stam
Yeinam, the Chachamim made Stam Yeinam also Asur b'Hana'ah. Although this
is only an Isur mid'Rabanan, it is a very serious prohibition (see Chochmas
14) [line 1] BEIS HA'TURFAH - vagina
15a) [line 4] PARSOSEHA - feet
b) [line 4] MI'BIFNIM - the interior side that is between the legs
c) [line 5] MI'BACHUTZ - the exterior side of the legs
16) [line 5] TZEDADIN - the front and back of the legs
17) [line 6] CHAGOR - belt
18) [line 11] MIPNEI SHE'HU CHOZER - it gets flipped over
19) [line 12] PULYOS - a sheet worn as a cloak and used as a bed-cover
20) [line 13] KARKA OLAM - ground
21) [line 18] SHEFIR - the skin of the infant before any sinews, bones, or
flesh are formed
22) [line 25] HADUR - they went back
23) [line 26] ED - a cloth used for a Bedikah
24) [line 32] OSYOM - immediately
*25*) [line 35] V'EIMA HARGASHAS SHAMASH HAVAH - (The Gemara did not answer
here that she felt the Bedikah after Tashmish, for then the husband should
not have had to bring a Korban.)
26) [line 38] HESETOS - object that she moved
27) [line 47] IZDAKRA - she bent backwards