|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 8] ORVIN - ravens
3) [line 10] ARUBAH DEB'CHEDER - a skylight (that gives light) in a room
*5*) [line 14] L'MAH TZADIKIM DOMIN BIFNEI SHECHINAH - that is, from this verse it is evident that the light of a torch is more than that of a candle; it does not produce shadows which have dimming effects.
6) [line 20] BA'IS - he is afraid (that he might burn down the house)
10) [line 25] LULIN - chicken coops
15) [line 36] SHECHAR - beer
*20*) [line 11] HEICHAH D'SHECHI'ACH HEZEIKA SHANI - (Earlier, when discussing the possibility of being stung by a scorpion while searching for Chametz under a pile of rubble, the Gemara did not suggest this answer. Apparently it is not very common for scorpions to be under rubble, and for them to sting while there (CHOK YA'AKOV, OC 433)
21) [line 14] BENEI BEI RAV - Yeshiva students that are in need of their Rebbi for their learning
22) [line 14] D'DAIREI B'VAGA - that live in villages on a plain [(O.F. chanpagne) a plain]
23) [line 14] MAHU L'MEISEI KADMA V'CHASHOCHA - is it permitted for them to come to the Yeshiva early in the morning, before dawn, and when it is dark at night?
24) [line 15] NEIZIL MAI - what about going back to their lodgings at
*28*) [line 23] B'HALICHAH LAMAH LI - that is, why is it necessary to prove from a verse that he will not be damaged while *on his way* to do a Mitzvah.
*29*) [line 24] MIPNEI MAH EIN PEIROS GINOSAR - It is not clear why the Gemara mentions this here. MAHARSHA explains that it is for a similar reason that one who does not own land is not obligated in Aliyah l'Regel; he cannot go to Yerushalayim "to rejoice in the fruit of the land that Hashem gave him," so his journey to Yerushalayim will necessarily be "she'Lo Lishma." Alternatively, perhaps the Torah did not want people to have ulterior motives for journeying to Yerushalayim since if they do, they will sometimes travel *only* for the ulterior motive and not for the purpose of fulfilling the Mitzvah. Their journey will not be a Mitzvah, and the lives of the members of their household who remained behind will be in danger, as is evident from the previous Gemara. (M. Kornfeld)
30) [line 25] PEIROS GINOSAR - the very sweet fruits that grow in the region of the Kineret, known for its special climate and bounty of superb fruits; Ginosar is an acronym for Ganei Sarim, prince's gardens (BREISHIS RABAH CH. 98)
31) [line 27] CHAMEI TEVERYA - hot springs of Tiberias
33) [line 41] TATA'EI D'TATYASA - the lowest of the lower rows, i.e. from the third row down
34) [line 42] GAVAYASA D'GAVAYASA - the innermost of the inner columns, i.e. from the third column in