POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafPesachim 103
1) THE ORDER OF BERACHOS IN KIDUSH/HAVDALAH
(a) [Rav] The order is YKN"H.
2) BESAMIM AND THE MAOR
(b) [Shmuel] The order is YNH"K.
(c) [Rabah] The order is YHN"K.
(d) [Levi] The order is KNY"H.
(e) [Rabanan] The order is KYN"H.
(f) [Mar b. Ravna] The order is NKY"H.
(g) [Marsa citing R. Yehoshua] The order is NYH"K.
(h) [Rebbi (citing R. Yishmael who cited his father R. Yosi who, in
turn, cited R. Yehoshua b. Chanina) in response to the question
posed by the father of Shmuel] The order is NHY"K.
1. The order of R. Yehoshua b. Chanina may be compared to a
king leaving and a governor entering.
(i) Question: What (Halachic) decisions were made?
2. One first escorts the departing king (Shabbos), and then
goes to greet the governor (YomTov).
(j) Answer [Abaye]: YKZN"H.
(k) Answer [Rava]: YKNH"Z (and the law follows Rava).
(a) R. Huna reported that Rava made the Berachah for Besamim and then
3) SEPARATE BERACHAH OVER THE CUP OF BIRKAS HAMAZON
(b) Question: But according to both Beis Shamai and Beis Hillel Maor
should come first!?
1. Beis Shamai says the order is Maor, Birkas HaMazon, Besamim
(c) Answer: That is the opinion of R. Meir, while R. Yehudah
understands the dispute between them as being over Besamim and
Maor (there is no dispute that Birkas HaMazon is first and
Havdalah is last).
2. Beis Hillel holds Maor, Besamim, Birkas HaMazon, Havdalah.
1. Beis Shamai holds Maor then Besamim.
(d) [R. Yochanan] People are accustomed to follow Beis Hillel as
understood by R. Yehudah.
2. Beis Hillel holds Besamim then Maor.
(a) R. Yakov b. Aba reported that Rava made a Berachah over Birkas
HaMazon after having made a Berachah over Kidush.
(b) Question: Why was this second Berachah needed?
(c) Answer: This was done in the home of the Reish Gelusa.
(d) Question: But there we were uncertain that there would be any
(e) Answer: The second Berachah is in accordance with the students of
4) THE NUSACH OF HAVDALAH
1. They asked the Shamash for wine for Birkas HaMazon and then
decided to drink the wine (as part of the meal) instead.
(f) During a meal they shared together (served by R. Acha b. Rava):
2. The Shamash cited Rav as saying that having declared their
conclusion of the meal they have put the meal out of their
minds and must recite Birkas HaMazon.
1. Ameimar recited a Berachah on every cup of wine.
(g) Each explained his position to R. Acha b. Rava:
2. Mar Zutra recited a Berachah on the first and last cups.
3. Rav Ashi recited a Berachah on the first cup only.
1. Ameimar made a fresh decision to drink each cup.
2. Mar Zutra followed the students of Rav (above).
3. Rav Ashi demonstrated that the Halachah is not like the
students of Rav, from the fact that Rav holds YKN"H.
(i) That case involved a mental cessation from the meal.
(ii) YKN"H does not show a different position of Rav.
(a) When Rava was ready for Havdalah his attendant lit a torch.
(b) Question: Why is this needed (the lamp is lit before us)!?
(c) Answer: The attendant acted on his own.
1. Question: You (Rava) must have told him to do so (how else
would he have thought to light it)?
(d) Rava included in his Berachah four types of separation.
2. Answer: A torch for Havdalah is, indeed, the best way to do
(e) Question: Why are so many types needed (Kodesh l'Chol is enough)?
(f) Answer: Three types is a minimum, and seven is a maximum.