REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Sanhedrin 98
SANHEDRIN 96-100 - Two weeks of study material have been dedicated by Mrs.
Estanne Abraham Fawer to honor the third Yahrzeit of her father, Reb
Mordechai ben Eliezer Zvi (Weiner), who passed away 18 Teves 5760. May the
merit of supporting and advancing Talmud study serve as an Iluy for his
(a) What does Rebbi Aba say about the Pasuk in Yechezkel "ve'Atem Harei
Yisrael, Anafchem Titnu u'Ferichem Titnu le'Amei ha'Aretz"?
(b) Rebbi Elazar says virtually the opposite based on a Pasuk in Zecharyah.
What does the Pasuk in Zecharyah say about S'char Adam and S'char Beheimah?
(c) And what does the Pasuk there mean when it concludes ...
(d) What does Shmuel mean when he says 'Ad she'Yiheyu Kol ha'She'arim
- ... ''u'le'Yotze u'le'Va Ein Shalom ... ", according to Rav?
- ... " ... min ha'Tzar"?
(a) What does Rebbi Chanina say about fish that will bring Mashi'ach?
(b) What do we learn from the juxtaposition of the Pesukim in ...
(c) What does Ula learn from the Pasuk there "Tzi'on ba'Mishpat Tipadeh,
- ... Yeshayah "ve'Charas ha'Zalzalim bi'Mezamros ... ba'Eis ha'Hi Yuval Shai la'Hashem Tzevakos" (Rebbi Chama b'Rebbi Chanina)?
- ... Tzefanyah "Ki Az Asir mi'Kirb'cha Alizei Ga'avascha ... ve'Hish'arti be'Kirb'cha Ani ve'Dal ve'Chasu be'Shem Hashem" (Ze'iri Amar Rebbi Chanina)?
- ... Yeshayah "ve'Ashivah Yadi Alayich ve'Etzroch ka'Bor Sigayich ... " (Rebbi Elazar b'Rebbi Shimon)?
(d) What does Rav Papa mean when he says ...
- ... 'I Batli Yehiri Batli Amgushi'?
- ... 'I Batli Dayni Batli Gezirfti'?
(a) What does Rebbi Yochanan learn from the Pasuk in ...
(b) How does Rebbi Alexandri, quoting Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi, resolve the
Pasuk in ...
- ... Shmuel "ve'es Am Ani Toshi'a"?
- ... Yeshayah "Ki Yavo ke'Nahar Tzar Ru'ach Hashem Nos'sah Bo ... u'Va le'Tzi'on Go'el"?
- ... Yeshayah "ve'Amech Kulam Tzadikim le'Olam Yirshu Aretz", and "va'Yar Ki Ein Ish va'Yishtomem Ki Ein Mafgi'a ... le'Ma'ani E'eseh"?
- ... Yeshayah "be'Itah" (in its time) with the next word "Achishenah" (quickly, implying before its time)?
- ... Daniel "ve'Aru im Ananei Shemaya ke'Bar Inash Asi" (implying that Mashi'ach will come quickly) with the Pasuk in Zecharyah "Ani ve'Rochev al ha'Chamor" (implying that he will take his time even when he comes)?
(a) What did Shmuel reply, when Shavur Malka (King of Persia) offered to
send Mashi'ach a fine horse to ride on when he comes?
(b) What strange answer did Eliyahu ha'Navi reply when Rebbi Yehoshua ben
Levi asked him whether he was destined to go to Olam ha'Ba? To whom was he
(c) Where was Eliyahu ha'Navi standing at the time?
(d) What did Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi mean when he said that he saw two but
(a) What did Eliyahu answer, when Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi asked him ...
(b) He told him that Mashi'ach will be tying bandages.
- ... when Mashi'ach will come?
- ... where he can find him?
What is the
significance of those bandages? Why does he need to suffer?
(c) How would Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi recognize him? What will distinguish
him from all the other lepers?
(d) Why was he doing that?
(a) When Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi reported back to Eliyahu ha'Navi what
Mashi'ach had said, Eliyahu informed him that he and his father were assured
of a place in Olam ha'Ba.
Why was that? What had Mashi'ach said that
prompted him to say that?
(b) And what did he reply when Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi told him that
Mashi'ach had promised to come 'today', but hadn't?
(c) What did Rebbi Yossi ben Kisma replied to his Talmidim ...
(d) What is the significance of the Cave of Pamayas?
- ... initially, when they asked him when Mashi'ach is due to come?
- ... after they assured him that they would not demand a sign?
- ... when they pressed him for a sign in spite of their promise?
(a) Why did Rebbi Yossi ben Kisma on his death-bed instruct the people to
dig his grave deep down in the ground?
Answers to questions
(b) And what did he say about the date-palms of Bavel?
(a) How long, according to Rav, will the ruling power (Malchus Edom)'s
influence have to spread over Yisrael (i.e. the entire world, where Yisrael
are exiled) before Mashi'ach will come?
(b) Under what condition did Ula and Rabah want Mashi'ach to come?
(c) What did Rav Yosef say?
(a) What did Rebbi Elazar say about being spared from the pangs of
(b) Then what were Ula and Rabah worried about?
(c) The source for this is Rav Ya'akov bar Idi.
How does he explain
Ya'akov's fear of Eisav, even though Hashem had promised to look after
(d) What has this to do with the Beraisa? How does the Tana explain the
Pasuk in the Shirah "ad Ya'avor Amcha Hashem, ad Ya'avor Am Zu Kanisa"?
(a) At first, when Rebbi Yochanan (like Ula and Rabah) said 'Yeisei ve'Lo
Achmineih', Resh Lakish ascribed this to a Pasuk in Amos.
What does the
Navi say about someone who runs away from a lion and bumps into a bear? What
danger did he encounter after escaping from the bear and entering his house?
(b) What is a 'Senter'? What 'danger' does he present?
(c) What danger confronts a person who enters ...
(d) Bearing in mind that the Pasuk in Amos is referring to the pangs of
Mashi'ach, what was Resh Lakish saying to Rebbi Yochanan?
- ...the city from the field, having escaped the Senter?
- ... his house, having escaped the Gabai?
(a) He therefore concludes that Rebbi Yochanan's reason must have been based
on the Pasuk in Yirmiyah. The Navi there describing the pangs of Mashi'ach,
writes "Sha'alu Na u'Re'u Im Yoled Zachar Madu'a Ra'isi Kol Gever Yadav al
Chalatzav ka'Yoleidah ... ".
How do we interpret ...
(b) What Mashal does Rav Papa give to a sick ox and a horse?
- ... "Kol Gever" (Rava bar Yitzchak Amar Rav [see Margelis ha'Yam])?
- ... the continuation of the Pasuk "ve'Nehefchu Kol Panim le'Yerakon" (Rebbi Yochanan)?
(c) What objection does Rav Yosef raise to Rav Gidal Amar Rav's Chidush that
Yisrael will enjoy the bounty that Mashi'ach will bring in his wake?
(d) And we reply that Rav is coming to preclude the opinion of Rebbi Hillel.
What did Rebbi Hillel say in this regard?
(a) If Rav maintains that the world was created for the sake of David, and
Shmuel, that it was created for the sake of Moshe, what does Rebbi Yochanan
(b) In the Beis-Hamedrash of Rebbi Shiloh (based on the Pasuk in Vayechi "Ad
Ki Yavo Shiloh"), they declared Mashi'ach's name to be Shiloh.
they say in the Beis-Hamedrash of ...
(c) If the Rabbanan, based on a Pasuk in Yeshayah, declare his name as
Chivra (meaning a leper, as we learned earlier) de'Bei Rebbi, what do Yesh
Omrim call him, based on a Pasuk in Eichah?
- ... Rebbi Yanai?
- ... Rebbi Chanina?
(d) What was the name of Menachem's father?
(a) Why did Rav Nachman declare that if Mashi'ach was already alive then,
based on the Pasuk in Yirmiyah "ve'Hayah Adiro Mimenu u'Moshlo mi'Kirbo
Yeitzei", it would be him (see Agados Maharsha)?
(b) That would also incorporate Rav's example of Rebbi.
Why else might Rav
have named Rebbi as the living Mashi'ach?
(c) Whom did he name as Mashi'ach, assuming that Mashi'ach was no longer
(d) What else might he have meant when he said 'K'gon Rabeinu ha'Kadosh' and
'K'gon Daniel Ish Chamudos'?
(a) What does Rav Yehudah Amar Rav extrapolate from the Pasuk in Yirmiyah
"ve'Avdu es Hashem ... ve'es David Malkam Asher *Akim* Lahem"?
(b) How does Rav reconcile this with the Pasuk "ve'David Avdi Nasi Lahem
(c) How is this answer even inherent in the latter Pasuk itself?
(a) What does the Pasuk in Amos mean when it writes "Hoy ha'Mis'avim es Yom
Hashem, Lamah Zeh Lachem Yom Hashem, Hu Choshech ve'Lo Or"?
Answers to questions
(b) What did the rooster say to the bat?
(c) Based on the Pasuk in Yeshayah "Ki Hinei ha'Choshech Yechaseh Eretz ...
ve'Alayich Yizrach Hashem ... ", what did Rebbi Avahu answer that heretic
who asked him when Mashi'ach was destined to come?
(d) What did Rebbi Avahu reply when the heretic asked him whether he was
coming to curse him?