|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
*1*) [line 15] L'ASUYEI HA D'TANU RABANAN - (The Gemara could have just as well quoted the coming Mishnah, which states clearly that it is permitted to be Machshich for a Kalah. The Gemara brought a Beraisa instead, because the Beraisa makes it clear that (a) Aba Shaul is the author of the coming Mishnah, and (b) that he permits *discussing* the needs of a Kalah on Shabbos, and not just being Machshich.)
*2*) [line 21] LECH L'MAKOM PELONI - go to such and such a place [to bring a coffin or shrouds].
3) [line 27] CHALILIN - flutes
5) [line 42] AMBATI - a bath
9) [line 49] ISRATYA - a wide street
10) [line 1] SHE'YAMTIN - so that it should decompose slower (lit. so that it should wait)
11) [line 1] LECHI - jaw
16) [line 13] "AD (SHE'LO) [ASHER LO] YERASEK CHEVEL HA'KESEF, V'SARUTZ
GULAS HA'ZAHAV; V'SISHAVER KAD AL HA'MABU'A, V'NAROTZ HA'GALGAL EL HA'BOR"
- "Before the silver cord snaps (alt., dries out and becomes crooked like a
chain), or the golden bowl is shattered; or the pitcher is broken at the
fountain, or the wheel is smashed at the pit." (Koheles 12:6)
17) [line 17] "V'ZEIRISI PERESH AL PENEICHEM ..." - "... and I will spread dung upon your faces, the dung of your feasts ..." (Malachi 2:3) - The prophet admonishes Benei Yisrael that if they indulge in unnecessary pleasures, they will pay dearly for them in the end.
*18*) [line 19] ELU BENEI ADAM SHE'MANICHIN DIVREI TORAH - that is, the verse is *admonishing* people that abandon Torah study in favor of physical pleasures. (The verse does not mean that only *their* stomachs burst, as opposed to others. Rather, it means that it is necessary to remind such people of this gory fact.)
19) [line 22] V'NOFELES LO AL PANAV - and it's contents fall on his face
21) [line 24] SHE'KAVAH V'HOLECHES - that is going out
26) [line 33] "ADAM B'YKAR V'LO YAVIN, NIMSHAL KA'BEHEMOS NIDMU" - "Man is glorious but understands not, he is likened to the silenced animals." (Tehilim 49:21) - This verse is explained allegorically as follows: Nimshal - if he is ruled (attacked) [by animals], ka'Behemos Nidmu - [it is because] he resembled an animal
*27*) [line 34] ASUR LISHAN B'BAYIS YECHIDI - it is forbidden to sleep alone in a house or closed room. (It is not clear why the Gemara mentions this at this point -- see Marbeh Shalom. Apparently, the Gemara is comparing demons to animals; both do not attack a person unless he is alone. Since demons only attack at night, Berachos 3b, one is warned not to sleep (i.e., spend the night) alone. SEFAS EMES)
28) [line 34] ACHAZTO LILIS - he will become possessed by the Demoness
32) [line 40] LO MI'ANI - does not become poor
34) [line 46] LESATOS - cheeks
39) [line 48] UKUMEI MUKIM, ARVACHEI LO MARVACH - it preserves the eyesight but does not improve it
40) [line 49] D'CHAMAH D'ALIM MACH'CHOLA TEFEI - the thicker the painting stick is, the better
41) [line 50] TARNEGOLTA APEIKAS MI'BEISACH? - was it only a dead chicken that you took out of your house?
42) [line 50] TARTEI? TICHLA V'IVRA? - should I suffer two things: bereavement and blindness from crying?