|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] "MATAN BA'SESER YICHPEH AF; [V'SHOCHAD BA'CHEK CHEMAH AZAH.]" - "An anonymous gift will cover up anger, [and an unseen bribe [will appease] strong wrath.]" (Mishlei 21:14)
2) [line 10] ZIMNIN - sometimes
4) [line 13] "ROMU ME'AT V'EINENU, V'HUMECHU KA'KOL YIKAFTZUN, UCH'ROSH SHIBOLES YIMALU." - "They are exalted for a short time [when alive], but then they are gone. They are lowered down [in the earth]; they jump [from their place (i.e. they die)] as all [people do], and they are cut off like the top of a stalk of grain." (Iyov 24:24) - Rav Avira renders this verse as follows: "Those who are haughty shall shrink [to lowliness] and disappear. But if they do Teshuvah and abandon their haughtiness, they will merit to live for their total allotted years. If, however, they do not repent, they will be cut off like the top of a stalk of grain."
5) [line 16] KI SASA D'SHIBOLTA - like the awns, or the "beard," of a grain-head, i.e. the slender bristles that extend from the top of a grain-head
6) [line 20] "KI CHO AMAR RAM V'NISA SHOCHEN AD V'KADOSYH SHEMO, MAROM V'KADOSH ESHKON; V'ES DAKA U'SHEFAL RU'ACH L'HACHAYOS RU'ACH SHEFALIM UL'HACHAYOS LEV NIDKA'IM." - "For thus says the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell on the high and holy place, yet also with him who is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones." (Yeshayah 57:15)
7a) [line 20] ITI DAKA - the humble dwell [on high] with Me
8) [line 25] L'GAD'O KA'ASHEIRAH - to cut him down like an Asheirah, a tree that has been worshipped as an Avodah Zarah. (Asheirah was a popular fertility goddess in the Near East. She is identified with Astarte (Ashtaros) and Aphrodite.) An Asheirah must be cut down and destroyed. No benefit can be derived from it.
9) [line 26] EIN AFARO NIN'AR - his dust will not be stirred up [to live once again at the time of Techiyas ha'Mesim (the revival of the dead)]
10) [line 29] MEYALELES - wails, grieves
12) [line 34] "MELASHNI VA'SESER RE'EHU, OSO ATZMIS; GEVAH EINAYIM U'RCHAV LEVAV, OSO LO UCHAL." - "He who slanders his neighbor in secret, him will I cut down; one with haughty eyes and an expansive heart, him I cannot bear." (Tehilim 101:5) - Rav Chisda and some say Mar Ukba renders the end of this verse as follows: "one with haughty eyes and an expansive heart, with him I cannot live."
13) [line 37] AFILU RU'ACH KIM'A OCHARTO - even a slight mishap (lit. a light wind) will destroy him (lit. will make him cloudy)
14) [line 37] "VEHA'RESHA'IM KA'YAM NIGRASH; [KI HASHKET LO YUCHAL, VA'YIGRESHU MEIMAV REFESH VA'TIT]" - "But the wicked are like the troubled sea [that cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.]" (Yeshayah 57:20)
15) [line 39] ECHAD MI'SHEMONEH BI'SHEMINIS - one eighth of one eighth, i.e. a very small amount [of self-pride]
16a) [line 40] B'SHAMTA D'IS BEI; B'SHAMTA D'LEIS BEI - [A Torah sage] who has in him [self-pride] should be excommunicated; [a Torah sage] who does not have in him [the previously-mentioned small amount of self-pride] should [also] be excommunicated
b) [line 40] SHAMTA (NIDUY - excommunication)
17) [line 41] MI ZUTAR - Is it little (i.e. of no significance)...?
19) [line 45] ADa"M - EFER, DAM, MARAH - ashes, blood, bile
23) [line 1] "[ZOS HA'TORAH...] VELA'SE'ES VELA'SAPACHAS [VELA'BEHARES.]" - lit. "This is the law...for the Se'es, the Sapachas and for the Baheres." (Vayikra 14:54-56) - The names and colors of four types of marks that make a person a Metzora are 1. Baheres, which is the color of snow; 2. Se'es, which is the color of clean, white newborn lamb's wool; 3. Sapachas of Baheres, which is the color of the plaster used to whitewash the Beis ha'Mikdash; 4. Sapachas of Se'es, which is the color of the white membrane found on the inside of an egg.
24) [line 1] V'EIN SE'ES ELA LESHON GAVO'AH - and the word "Se'es" has the connotation of something uplifted
25) [line 3] TEFEILAH - subordinate
27) [line 12] NIDKEH - humbled, afflicted
30) [line 15] "...V'SAM DERECH AR'ENU B'YESHA ELO-KIM." - "[Whoever offers praise glorifies Me;] and to one who orders his way aright I will show the salvation of HaSh-m." (Tehilim 50:23)
31) [line 34] D'LO LISTEREI L'VEISEI - in order that he not destroy his household.