|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 2] "UCH'VO NOS'EI HA'ARON AD HA'YARDEN, V'RAGLEI HA'KOHANIM NOS'EI HA'ARON NITBELU BI'KTZEI HA'MAYIM; VEHA'YARDEN MALEI AL KOL GEDOSAV, KOL YEMEI KATZIR." - "And when those who carried the Ark came to the Yarden, and the feet of the Kohanim who carried the Ark were dipped in the brim of the water, and the Yarden was overflowing its banks all the time of the harvest." (Yehoshua 3:15)
2) [line 3] "VA'YA'AMDU HA'MAYIM HA'YORDIM MIL'MA'LAH, KAMU NED ECHAD, HARCHEK ME'OD ME'ADAM, HA'IR ASHER MI'TZAD TZORSAN, VEHA'YORDIM AL YAM HA'ARAVAH, YAM HA'MELACH, TAMU NICHRASU; VEHA'AM AVRU NEGED YERICHO." - "The waters that came down from above stood and rose up in a heap very far from the city Adam, that is beside Tzorsan, and those that came down toward the sea of the Aravah, the Salt Sea, finished and were cut off; and the people crossed opposite Yericho." (Yehoshua 3:16)
3) [line 5] MIL (MEASURES OF LENGTH AND DISTANCE)
3 Parsa'os = 24000 Amos = 90 Ris = 12 Mil
1 Mil = approximately 912, 960 or 1152 meters, depending upon the differing Halachic opinions4) [line 9] NIGDASHIN V'OLIN KIPIN AL GABEI KIPIN - the waters were heaped up and piled on, [as] arches upon arches (as in a sea surge)
5) [line 17] "KI SHAMANU ES ASHER HOVISH HASH-M ES MEI YAM SUF..." - "For we have heard how HaSh-m dried up the water of the Yam Suf for you, when you came out of Mitzrayim; and what you did to the two kings of the Emori, who were on the other side of the Yarden, Sichon and Og, whom you completely destroyed." (Yehoshua 2:10)
6) [line 18] "VA'NISHMA VA'YIMAS LEVAVENU V'LO KAMAH OD [RU'ACH B'ISH MI'PENEICHEM...]" - "And as soon as we heard these things, our hearts melted, nor did there remain [any courage in any man, because of you; for HaSh-m your G-d, He is G-d in the Heavens above, and on the earth below.]" (Yehoshua 2:11)
7) [line 21] SHE'TORISHU - that you will drive out
9) [line 24] OSEICHEM - this word represents the correct Girsa in the Tosefta (8:3) and our Gemara interprets it homiletically (MAHARSHA)
10) [line 26] "...V'HARIMU LACHEM ISH EVEN ACHAS AL SHICHMO L'MISPAR SHIVTEI [VENEI] YISRAEL." - "[And Yehoshua said to them, 'Pass over before the Ark of HaSh-m, your G-d, into the midst of the Yarden,] and every one of you shall lift up a stone upon his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of Benei Yisrael." (Yehoshua 4:5) - The word "v'Gomer" seems unnecessary, since the Gemara has quoted the end of this verse and immediately brings the next verse.
11) [line 27] "L'MA'AN TIHEYEH ZOS OS B'KIRBECHEM KI YISH'ALUN BENEICHEM MACHAR LEIMOR, 'MAH HA'AVANIM HA'EELEH LACHEM?'" - "That this may be a sign among you, that when your children ask their fathers in times to come, saying, 'What do these stones mean to you?'" (Yehoshua 4:6) - "v'Gomer" must be referring to the next verse, which contains the answer to this question.
12) [line 31] "[V'TZAVU OSAM LEIMOR,] 'SE'U LACHEM MI'ZEH MI'TOCH HA'YARDEN MI'MATZAV RAGLEI HA'KOHANIM, HACHIN SHTEIM ESREI AVANIM; V'HA'AVARTEM OSAM IMACHEM V'HINACHTEM OSAM BA'MALON ASHER TALINU VO HA'LAILAH.'" - "[And command them saying,] 'Take from the midst of the Yarden, from the place where the feet of the Kohanim stood firm, making ready (i.e. hewing) twelve stones, and you shall carry them over with you, and leave them in the lodging place, where you shall lodge this night.'" (Yehoshua 4:3) - "v'Gomer" must be referring to the following verses, where this order is carried out.
13) [line 38] SHI'ARUM - estimated their size
15) [line 39] U'GEMIREI - and we know by tradition
17) [line 41] ESHKOL - the cluster of grapes that the spies brought back from Eretz Kena'an
18) [line 41] "VA'YAVO'U AD NACHAL ESHKOL, VA'YICHRESU MI'SHAM ZEMORAH, V'ESHKOL ANAVIM ECHAD, VA'YISA'UHU VA'MOT BI'SHENYAIM; U'MIN HA'RIMONIM U'MIN HA'TE'ENIM" - "And they came to the brook of Eshkol, and cut down from there a branch with one cluster of grapes, and they bore it between two on a pole; and they brought of the pomegranates, and of the figs." (Bamidbar 13:23)
19) [line 43] TURTANI V'TURTANI D'TURTANI - a combination of balancing poles [for four couples of carriers] (Turtani = a balance scale)
20 [line 45] OSAH ETZAH - that [evil] scheme [of the spies]
20) [line 1] K'CHANAYASAN - in the same formation as their camp, the area of which was 12 Milin by 12 Milin
21) [line 5] "SHELACH LECHA," - MI'DA'ATCHA - "Send for you," - that is, according to your will
22) [line 5] V'CHI ADAM ZEH BORER CHELEK RA L'ATZMO?! - Does a person choose for himself a portion that is bad?! i.e. the Creator, who knew that the results of sending the spies would be catastrophic, would not have commanded to send them
23) [line 7] "[NISHLECHAH ANASHIM LEFANEINU] V'YACHPERU LANU ES HA'ARETZ." - "[Let us send men before us] so that they may search out the land for us." (Devarim 1:22)
24) [line 9] VOSHTAH - the shame
26) [line 17] MACH - weak
28) [line 20] "VA'YA'ALU VA'NEGEV VA'YAVO AD CHEVRON, V'SHAM ACHIMAN SHESHAI V'SALMEI YELIDEI HA'ANAK; V'CHEVRON SHEVA SHANIM NIVNESAH LIFNEI TZO'AN MITZRAYIM" - "And they went up through the Negev (south) and came to Chevron, and there were Achiman, Sheshai and Talmei, the children of the giant; and Chevron was built seven years before Tzo'an of Egypt." (Bamidbar 13:22) - The Gemara below emends the translation of the word "Mevuneh" and translates the end of this verse as, "and Chevron was seven times as productive as Tzo'an of Egypt."
29) [line 21] PIRESH - separated himself
35) [line 32] ALASH - possibly one of the stations of Benei Yisrael in the desert (Bamidbar 33:13, according to the PEIRUSH YONASAN to TARGUM YONASAN BEN UZIEL)
36) [line 32] TALBOSH - possibly Ptlolemais, an ancient name for Ako (Acre)
38) [line 36] U'VNEI CHAM, KUSH U'MITZRAYIM U'FUR U'CHENA'AN." - "And the sons of Cham [were] Kush and Mitzrayim and Put and Kena'an." (Bereishis 10:6) - From this verse it is clear that Kena'an, for who Chevron was built, was younger than Mitzrayim, for whom Tzo'an was built."
39) [line 37] MEVUNAH - productive; flawless
41) [line 38] TERASHIM - rugged, stony ground
44) [line 49] MINAH - from it itself (your attempted rebuttal) there is a proof for my opinion
45) [line 49] AIDI D'KELISHA AR'A - since the earth is thin