|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 1] "VA'YELCHU VA'YAVO'U EL MOSHE V'EL AHARON V'EL ADAS BENEI YISRAEL EL MIDBAR PARAN KASDESHA..." - "And they went, and they came to Moshe and Aharon and to the all the congregation of the children of Yisrael unto the wilderness of Paran to Kadesh; [and brought back word to them, and to all the congregation, and showed them the fruit of the land.]" (Bamidbar 13:26)
2) [line 3] "VA'YESAPRU LO VA'YOMRU, BANU EL HA'ARETZ ASHER SHELACHTANU; V'GAM ZAVAS CHALAV U'DVASH HI, V'ZEH PIRYAH." - "And they told him and said: 'We came to the land to which you sent us; and it also it a land that flows with milk and honey, and this is its fruit.'" (Bamidbar 13:27)
3) [line 4] "EFES KI AZ HA'AM [HA'YOSHEV BA'ARETZ; VEHE'ARIM BETZUROS GEDOLOS ME'OD, V'GAM YELIDEI HA'ANAK RA'INU SHAM.]" - "Albeit the people [who dwell in the land] are fierce; [and the cities are fortified [and] very great, and moreover we saw there the children of a giant." (Bamidbar 13:28)
4) [line 5] (SIMAN EMES (LEVADO) [LACHDO] LEVAYAH) - this is a mnemonic
device for remembering the three times in Maseches Sotah that Rebbi Yochanan
cites a teaching of Rebbi Meir, respectively:
5) [line 7] "VA'YAHAS KALEV ES HA'AM EL MOSHE; VA'YOMER, 'ALOH NA'ALEH V'YARASHNU OSAH, KI YACHOL NUCHAL LAH!'" - "And Kalev silenced the people before Moshe and said, 'We should surely go up and possess it, for we will be able to overcome it!'" (Bamidbar 13:30)
6) [line 8] HESITAN BI'DEVARIM - he [quieted them down because he pretended to be on their side, and] instigated them with his words
7) [line 9] MISHTA'I - speaking
9a) [line 10] AMAR, IY MISHTA'EINA - he (Kalev) said, "If I speak [the
10) [line 16] "VEHA'ANASHIM ASHER ALU IMO AMRU,'LO NUCHAL LA'ALOS EL HA'AM; KI CHAZAK HU MIMEHU!'" - "But the men who went up with him said 'We are not able to fight (lit. go up) against the people; for they are stronger than we [are]!'" (Bamidbar 13:31) - The word "Mimenu" can also be translated as, "than Him!"
11) [line 23] KOL HEICHA D'MATU - wherever they came
15) [line 30] LECHAYEI - it is good! (the spies could have honestly said
17) [line 32] TUSEI ARZEI - beneath cedar trees (because of their great
19) [line 40] MESU MISAH MESHUNAH - they died an unusual death (since in the verse that describes their punishment (Bamidbar 14:37) the word "Ra'ah," "bad," is next to the word "ba'Magefah," which refers to the plague by which they died -- TOSFOS DH Melamed)
20) [line 41] NISHTARBEV LESHONAM - their tongues became elongated
23) [line 45] "VA'YEHI KA'ALOS HA'KOHANIM NOS'EI ARON BRIS HA'SH-M MI'TOCH HA'YARDEN, NITKU KAPOS RAGLEI HA'KOHANIM EL HE'CHARAVAH; VA'YASHUVU MEI HA'YARDEN LI'MKOMAM, VA'YELCHU CHI'SMOL SHILSHOM AL KOL GEDOSAV." - "And it came to pass, when the Kohanim who carried the Ark of the Covenant of HaSh-m came up out of the midst of the Yarden, and the soles of the feet of the Kohanim were lifted up to the dry land (they stepped out backwards), that the waters of the Yarden returned to their place, and flowed over all its banks, as they did before." (Yehoshua 4:18)
24) [line 47] UZAH - a comrade of David who was killed by HaSh-m when he mistakenly tried to save the Aron Kodesh from falling. Chazal state that he should have made a Kal va'Chomer that if the Aron Kodesh can carry its carriers, it can certainly carry itself. Not having the proper reverence for the Aron Kodesh is a serious offence, as is found in Bamidbar Rabah 6:7, that many men of Benei Kehas were killed by the Aron Kodesh.
25) [line 48] GOREN KIDON - the threshing floor of Kidon (Divrei ha'Yamim I 13:9), also known as "Goren Nachon" (Shmuel II 6:6). The Gemara below explains the significance of each name.
26) [line 49] "VA'YAKEHU SHAM [HA'ELOKIM] AL HA'SHAL" - "[And the anger of HaSh-m was kindled against Uzah;] and HaSh-m struck him there for his error; [and there he died by the Ark of HaSh-m.]" (Shmuel II 6:7)
27) [line 49] AL ISKEI SHALU - because of a matter of an unintentional sin
31) [line 54] "HA'SA'IF EINECHA BO V'EINENU..." - "If you blink your eyes at it, it is gone, [for riches suddenly make themselves wings; they fly away like an eagle towards the sky.]" (Mishlei 23:5)
32) [line 55] "VELI'VNEI KEHAS LO NASAN, KI AVODAS HA'KODESH [ALEIHEM; BA'KASEF YISA'U.]" - "But to the sons of Kehas he gave none (i.e. no wagons); because the service of the sanctuary was upon them; they carried [the Holy Vessels] upon their shoulders." (Bamidbar 7:9)
33) [line 55] V'IHU ASYEI B'AGALTA - and he brought the Aron Kodesh in a wagon
34) [last line] MILEI NAMI AMUR - they also spoke words of contempt
35) [line 1] MAN AMRICH D'IMRAYAS? - Who angered you to the extent that you were in such a state of anger [that you did not save yourself from the hands of thePelishtim]?
36) [line 8] MERI - a fatted ox
37) [line 13] BAMOS
38) [line 17] KIDON - a spear, javelin (an implement of death, referring to the death of Uzah)
39) [line 17] NACHON - established (it afterwards established the house of Oved Edom ha'Giti, blessing him to the extent that his wife and eight daughters-in-law all bore sextuplets within the three months that it was kept in his house)
40) [line 19] "B'EVER HA'YARDEN, B'ERETZ MOAV, HO'IL MOSHE BE'ER ES HA'TORAH HA'ZOS LEIMOR." - "On the other side of the Yarden River, in the land of Moav, Moshe began expounding this law, saying:" (Devarim 1:5)
41) [line 21] "V'CHASAVTA *ALEIHEN* ES KOL DIVREI HA'TORAH HA'ZOS [B'OVRECHA...]" - "And you shall write upon them all the words of this law [when you pass over the Yarden River...]" (Devarim 27:3) - The verse quoted by our Gemara is a printer's error and should read, "V'CHASAVTA *AL HA'AVANIM* ES KOL DIVREI HA'TORAH HA'ZOS, [BA'ER HETEIV."] - "And you shall write upon the stones all the words of this law, [explaining it well.]" (Devarim 27:8)
42) [line 25] "V'ES SHTEIM ESREI HA'AVANIM HA'ELEH ASHER LAKCHU MIN HA'YARDEN, HEKIM YEHOSHUA BA'GILGAL." - "And those twelve stones, which they took from the Yarden, Yehoshua set up in Gilgal." (Yehoshua 4:20)
43) [line 29] SADU OSAN BA'SID - they plastered them over with plaster
45) [line 33] V'HISI'UHA - (lit. and they lifted it (the Torah that was written under the plaster) up [and took it away]) that is, they took it away by copying it
46) [line 34] NISCHATEM GEZAR DINAM L'VE'ER SHACHAS - their fate was sealed [such that they would go down] to the Well of Destruction, i.e. Gehinom (see Tehilim 55:24; it is called a well because it constantly spews forth destruction - see Rav S. R. Hirsch there)
47) [line 36] "[KI HACHAREM TACHARIMEM...HA'KENA'ANI...] L'MA'AN ASHER LO YELAMDU ESCHEM LA'ASOS K'CHOL [TO'AVOSAM ASHER ASU L'EILOHEHEM...]" - "[But you shall utterly destroy them...the Kena'ani...] In order that they should not teach you to do like all [their abominations that they have done to their gods...]" (Devarim 20:17-18)
48) [line 40] "V'HAYU AMIM MISREFOS SID; [KOTZIM KESUCHIM B'ESH YITZATU.]" - "And the people shall be as the burnings of lime; as thorns cut up shall they be burned in the fire." (Yeshayah 33:12)
49) [line 44] "[KI SETZEI LA'MILCHAMAH AL OIVECHA...] V'SHAVISA SHIVYO." - "[When you shall go forth to battle against your enemy...] and you shall take captives." (Devarim 21:10) - This verse refers to an Eshes Yefas To'ar, a captive woman whose captor is required to convert her to Judaism before he marries her. This Beraisa teaches that a Kena'ani woman captured *outside* of Eretz Yisrael may convert.