REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Sotah 28
SOTAH 28 (23 Teves) - dedicated in memory of Nachum ben Shlomo Dovid
Mosenkis on his 61st Yahrzeit, by his son, Shlomo Dovid (Sid) ben Nachum
Mosenkis of Queens N.Y.
(a) When the Tana of our Mishnah says 'ke'Shem she'ha'Mayim Bodkin Osah, Kach
ha'Mayim Bodkim *Oso*', why can he not be referring to the husband?
(b) Why then, did he not say explicitly 'Bo'el' (like he says in the Seifa 'ke'Shem
she'Asurah le'Ba'al, Kach Asurah le'Bo'el')?
(a) We ask whether Rebbi Akiva learns his D'rashah from the double expression of
"u'Va'u" "u'Va'u", or from the 'Vav' in "u'Vau". The answer lies in the second case
of "Ve'nitma'ah" "Venitma'ah".
How do we learn from there that Rebbi Akiva Darshens
from the 'Vav'?
(b) In that case, Rebbi Akiva contends with six Pesukim (three times the word
"U'va'u" and the three 'Vavin', and Rebbi with three). The purpose of the three
initial Pesukim is for the 'Yedi'ah', for the 'Tzava'ah' and for the 'Asi'ah'. What
do we learn from the Pasuk ...
(c) What does Rebbi learn from the Pasuk ...
- ... "U'va'u ha'Mayim ha'Me'arerim ha'Eileh be'Me'ayich La'tz'bos Beten Ve'lanpil Yarech"?
- ... "Ve'hishkah es ha'Ishah es Mei ha'Me'arerim, U'va'u Vah ha'Mayim"?
- ... "Ve'Hishkah es ha'Mayim, Ve'haysah Im Nitme'ah ... U'va'u ... "?
(d) From where does Rebbi then learn ...
- ... "Ve'tzavsah Bitnah Ve'naflah Yereichah"?
- ... "La'tz'bos Beten Ve'lanpil Yarech"?
- ... the Yedi'ah (to inform her that the water will first effect her stomach, and then her thighs [which Rebbi Akiva learns from the previous Pasuk])?
- ... that the Pasuk also comes for the Tza'avah? Maybe it comes only to teach us the punishment of the Bo'el?
(a) We already learned in our Mishnah that Rebbi Akiva Darshens the three
"Ve'nitma'ah" to teach us that she is forbidden to the husband, to the Bo'el and to
Answers to questions
Based on the Isur Terumah, what does Rebbi Yishmael learn from a 'Kal
va'Chomer' from a Gerushah?
(b) What problem do we have with the two Pesukim "Ve'kinei es Ishto ve'Hi Nitma'ah"
and "O Avar Alav ... ve'Hi Lo Nitma'ah"?
(c) How do we solve this problem?
(d) What major ruling now emerges from this explanation?
(a) What 'Kal va'Chomer do we derive from Safek Sotah with regard to Safek Tum'as
(b) From where do we learn that 'Safek Tum'ah Tamei' is confined to Safek Tum'ah in a
(c) Which other qualification do we learn from Safek Sotah?
(a) Rebbi Yishmael extrapolates from a 'Kal va'Chomer that if the Sotah is Asur to
eat Terumah, then she is certainly Asur to marry a Kohen.
Answers to questions
What initial problem do
we have with Rebbi Yishmael's statement?
(b) Why can we not answer that Rebbi Akiva forbids a Sotah to marry a Kohen because
she is a Safek Zonah?