|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 9] "VA'YORED LACHEM GESHEM, MOREH U'MALKOSH BA'RISHON" - "and He has brought down the rain for you – the early rain and the late rain – in the first [month]" (Yoel 2:23). (All of the rain that that generation needed in order for the barley for the Korban ha'Omer to ripen by the eve of the 16th of Nisan fell from Rosh Chodesh Nisan and on.
2) [line 14] "YESER HA'GAZAM ACHAL HA'ARBEH..." - "That which the cutting locust has left, the swarming locust has eaten; and that which the swarming locust has left, the hopping locust has eaten; and that which the hopping locust has left, the destroying locust has eaten" (Yoel 1:4)
3) [line 15] REVI'AH RISHONAH - the first of the early rains
ZERES - (a) the distance between the tips of the thumb and the smallest finger in a spread hand, or half of an Amah, approximately 24 cm (9.45 in) or 28.8 cm (11.34 in), depending upon the differing Halachic opinions (RAMBAM Klei ha'Mikdash 9:6); (b) others say that a Zeres is 1/3 of an Amah, approximately 16 cm (6.3 in) or 19.2 (7.56 in), depending upon the differing Halachic opinions (R. Eliezer ha'Kalir quoted by TOSFOS Eruvin 21a DH Echad)b) [line 26] SHIBOLES, ZERASAYIM - the ear of the grain is the length of two Zereses (usually the stalk is much longer that the ear grain; this time the ear was double the length of the stalk)
8) [last line] ESRIN V'ARBA SHEVIKA LEHU - the verse has left [the rest of the] 24 major sins of the Jewish people; alt. the verse has left out mention of [the res of] the 24 books of Tanach which the Jewish people transgressed
9) [line 11] SIV - old
11) [line 14] ZIKNAH KAFTZAH ALAV - he aged suddenly
14) [line 24] K'MELO NIMA - as much as a hair's breadth
16) [line 26] HA'ESHEL - the tamarisk tree
*18*) [line 28] SHTEI SHANIM U'MECHETZEH - Sha'ul ha'Melech lived for an extra two and a half years in Giv'ah due to the prayers of Shmuel; these two and a half years corresponded to the second half of the eleventh year, the twelfth year, and the thirteenth year of Shmuel's term as the judge of the nation (by himself, after Eli ha'Kohen died; Eli died at age 98, or 40 years after Shmuel was born, leaving Shmuel, who died at 52, as the sole leader for 12 years) (Rashi).
19) [line 31] "AL KEN CHATZAVTI BA'NEVI'IM, HARAGTIM B'IMREI FI" - "Because I have made My words clear-cut through the prophets, I have slain them because of the utterances of My mouth"(Hoshea 6:5)
20) [line 37] MESICHIN - converse, talk
22) [line 39] SAFDU SAFDENAYA - the eulogizers eulogized
24) [line 44] LIVARCHAN MAR - bless me, my teacher