POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Yevamos 16
YEVAMOS 16 (7 Teves) - Dedicated by Yaakov Wollner and family, of Baltimore,
Maryland, in memory of Yitzchok Yisroel Daniel.
1) THE LAW OF TZARAS ERVAH
(a) The children of Tzaros I can testify about.
2) ACCEPTING CONVERTS
(b) (Beraisa): In the days of R. Dosa Ben Hurkenis, the
Tzarah of a daughter was permitted to the brothers;
1. this proves, they followed their own teachings.
(c) (Beraisa - continuation): Sages were sent to R. Dosa.
1. Sages: What is the law of the Tzarah of the
(d) In Amon and Moav, Ma'aser Sheni is separated in Shmitah -
many cities were conquered by Yisrael when we came from
Mitzrayim, but the exiles returning from Bavel did not
2. R. Dosa: Beis Shamai and Beis Hillel argue on this.
3. Sages: Like whom is the law?
4. R. Dosa: As Beis Hillel.
5. Sages: We heard in your name, the law is as Beis
6. R. Dosa: Did you hear this in my name, or in the
name of Ben Hurkenis?
7. Sages: The latter.
8. R. Dosa: It was my brother Yonason, a student of
Shamai. Beware! He has 300 proofs that the Tzarah of
the daughter is permitted. Nevertheless, I testify
that Chagai the prophet said 3 laws here.
i. The Tzarah of the daughter is forbidden;
ii. In Amon and Moav, Ma'aser Sheni (second tithe)
is separated in Shmitah (the Sabatical year).
iii. We accept converts from Karduyin and Tarmodim.
(e) The first sanctification of Eretz Yisrael was not
(f) The returning exiles from Bavel left cities unconquered
to be a source of food for the poor in Shmitah.
(a) (Beraisa): We accept converts from Karduyin and Tarmodim.
(b) Version #1 - Question: But Rami Bar Yechezkel taught, we
do not accept converts from Karduyim!
(c) Answer (Rav Ashi): We do not accept from *Kartuyim*.
1. This is as people say, one may not marry Kartuyim.
(d) Version #2: (Rami Bar Yechezkel): We do not accept
converts from Kartuyim!
1. Suggestion: Kartuyim and Karduyim are the same.
(e) (R. Yochanan and elders): We do not accept converts from
2. Rejection (Rav Ashi): No, they are different.
3. This is as people say, one may not marry Kartuyim.
(f) Question: Did R. Yochanan really say this?
1. (Mishnah): Stains which come from Rekem are not
Tamei; R. Yehudah says they are Tamei, because they
are converts and err;
2. Stains which come from Nochrim are not Tamei.
3) AGGADIC TEACHINGS
3. Question: Stains of Nochrim are not Tamei - even
(g) Answer: R. Yochanan observed that the Mishnah holds that
way; R. Yochanan himself argues.
4. Answer (R. Yochanan): This teaches that we accept
converts from Tarmod!
(h) Question: But R. Yochanan says that the law is as an
(i) Answer: Amora'im argue on the opinion of R. Yochanan.
(j) Question: Why don't we accept converts from Tarmod?
(k) Answer: R. Yochanan and the elders gave different
reasons. One said, because of the slaves of Shlomo; the
other said, because of girls of Yerushalayim (that were
raped by the conquerors).
(l) We understand the opinion that the problem was the slaves
of Shlomo - he holds, a Nochri or slave that fathers a
child with a Bas Yisrael, the child is a Mamzer.
(m) Question: The opinion that says that the problem was the
daughters of Yerushalayim - what was this?
(n) Rabah Bar Bar Chanah and Chachamim argued.
1. One said, 12,000 men and 6,000 archers; the other
said, 12,000 men, including 6,000 archers - when the
Nochrim entered the Heichal, all others engaged in
taking gold and silver, and they turned to the
daughters of Yerushalayim - "They afflicted women in
Tziyon, virgins in the cities of Yehudah.
(a) (R. Shmuel Bar Nachmani): "I was a youth, I grew old" -
this verse was said by the world minister (an angel).
4) DOUBTFUL JEWS
1. It could not have been Hash-m - He does not age!
(b) (R. Shmuel Bar Nachmani): "The afflictor spread his hand
on all its treasures" - this refers to Amon and Moav.
2. David could not have said it - he did not live to be
3. Rather, the world minister must have said it.
1. When Nochrim entered the Heichal, all others engaged
in taking gold and silver, and they turned to the
(c) (Rav): "Hash-m commanded that Yakov's enemies surround
him" - Such as Humniya around Fum Nahara.
2. They said, it says in here, men from Amon and Moav
will not marry into the congregation of Hash-m - it
will be burned.
(a) (Rav Yehudah): A Nochri that engages a Bas Yisrael, we
are concerned for this, perhaps he is from the 10 tribes.
(b) Question: Why can't we assume he is from the majority of
people that are not from the 10 tribes?
(c) Answer: In places where descendants of the 10 tribes are
fixed (we view it as an even doubt).
1. (R. Aba Bar Kahana): "And he settled (the 10 tribes)
in Chalach and Chabor ..."
2. The current names for these places are Chalazon,
Chadyev, Ginzek, Chamdan and its surrounding