POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafYoma 7
YOMA 7 (Teves 23) - has been dedicated to the memory of Nachum ben Shlomo
Dovid Mosenkis on the day of his Yahrzeit, by his son, Sid Mosenkis (Queens,
1) TUMAS HAMES HUTRAH OR DECHUYAH (cont'd)
(a) R. Sheshes taught that his source is a Bereisa.
1. If possible, we replace a Tamei Omer with a Tahor one.
(b) R. Nachman responds that all agree by that which would be
eaten (if Tahor) that we attempt to bring Tahor.
2. This establishes Tumah as Dechuyah, not Hutrah.
(c) Question: But a Bereisa teaches the same regarding non-
1. The Bereisa lists the Minchas Parim, Eilim and Kevasim.
(d) Answer: No, each item has an alternate explanation for why
we seek to replace it with a Minchah Tehorah:
2. We assume these to be the Menachos of Musafei HaChag.
1. Parim- of Avodah Zarah (Tzibur but not time-set).
(e) Question: But why should the Bereisa penalize one who brings
Dam Tamei b'Meizid (if Tumah is Hutrah)?
2. Eilim- Aharon's Korban on Yom HaKipurim (Yachid).
3. Kevasim- Minchas Keves HaOmer (edible parts).
(f) Answer: That is by a Korban Yachid.
(g) Question: Why do we need Ritzui Tzitz if Tumah is Hutrah?
(h) Answer #1: For Korbanos Yachid.
(i) Answer #2: For Korbanos Tzibur without a set time.
(j) Question: The Bereisa says explicitly that Tumah is Hutrah!
1. The Pasuk teaches that the Tzitz carried the "Avon."
2. The only possible Avon is Tumah, a leniency which is
likely since Tumah is *Hutrah* b'Tzibur!
(k) Answer: The Machlokes (R. Sheshes and R. Nachman) is a
Machlokes Tanaim (between R. Shimon and R. Yehudah).
2) R. YEHUDAH AND R. SHIMON ON RITZUI TZITZ
(a) (R. Shimon) The Tzitz is Meratzeh whether or not the Kohen
Gadol is wearing it.
(b) (R. Yehudah) The Tzitz is Meratzeh only when the Kohen Gadol
(c) (R. Shimon) A proof can be seen from the Kohen Gadol on Yom
HaKipurim (not wearing the Tzitz, yet is Meratzeh)!
(d) (R. Yehudah) His Avodah does not need Ritzui Tzitz because
of Tumah Hutrah b'Tzibur.
(e) The above implies that R. Shimon holds it is Dechuyah.
(f) (Abaye) A broken Tzitz is not Meratzeh (according to both).
1. The Machlokes is interpreting the Pesukim:
(i) Al Metzach..v'Nasa- while it is worn (R. Yehudah)
2. Question: How will R. Yehudah explain Tamid?
(ii) Tamid..lifnei HaShem- always (R. Shimon)
3. Answer: That the Kohen must not be Meseach Da'as from
(i) Rabah b. R. Huna had taught that one must have
continuous awareness of his Tefilin.
(ii) This is a Kal V'Chomer from the Tzitz.