POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafYoma 64
YOMA 59-88 have been dedicated to the memory of the late Dr. Simcha
Bekelnitzky (Simcha Gedalya ben Shraga Feibush) of Queens N.Y. by his wife
and daughters. Well known in the community for his Chesed and Tzedakah, he
will long be remembered.
1) RESOLVING THE BERAISA REGARDING MECHUSAR Z'MAN (cont'd)
[Another answer to explain why we would have prohibited the Seir
HaMishtaleach BeMechusar Z'man.]
(a) Alternate Answer (Rava): It is speaking where the mother of
the Seir was slaughtered on that day (for an ill person)
thus creating the prohibition of Oso V'Es Beno.
2) THE STATUS OF THE SECOND SEIR - DICHUI
(b) Question: But we are not doing Shechitah on the child on the
same day as the mother, we are only pushing it off a cliff!?
(c) Answer: For the Seir HaMishtaleach, that is its Shechitah.
(a) (Rav) The remaining Seir from the *original* pair is used,
and the match to the *new* Seir is put out to pasture.
(b) (R. Yochanan) The opposite (original is pastured, new one is
(c) Question: What is the basis for their dispute?
(d) Answer: Rav holds that the principle of Dichui does not
apply prior to Shechitah; while R. Yochanan holds that
Dichui does apply to Ba'alei Chaim.
(e) Question: Why does Rav hold his position?
(f) Answer: He learns it from the usual case of Mechusar Z'man,
which will become fit even though at the moment it is not
(g) Question: But by Mechusar Z'man the animal never went
through a period in which it was fit, unlike our case?!
(h) Answer: Rather, Rav compares it to the case of an animal
with an impermanent blemish.
1. Question: Whence do we know that such an animal may be
(i) Question: Why, according to Rav, *must* we offer the
original Seir, why not offer either one?
2. Answer: From the Pasuk of Mum Bam (only while the
blemish is upon them may they not be offered).
3. Question: Why does R. Yochanan hold his position (and
not learn, as Rav did, from an impermanent Mum)?
4. Answer: Because the Torah restricted its Heter there
with the word Bahem (Mum is the only Nidcheh which
5. Question: How will Rav understand Bahem?
6. Answer: Bahem teaches that the Isur of Mum only applies
if the limb of the Ba'al Mum can be identified, but not
in a mixture (as we see is R. Eliezer's position in the
Mishnah in Zevachim).
7. Question: Whence then will R. Yochanan learn this Din?
8. Answer: The word Bahem could have otherwise read Bam.
9. Question: How will Rav understand Bam-Bahem?
10. Answer: Rav does not interpret the difference between
(j) Answer: Rav holds like R. Yosi that the proper Mitzvah is
with the first one designated.
1. Question: Where is this opinion of R. Yosi?
2. Answer: When R. Yosi explains the requirement to mark
the Kupos as in order to use the first one first.
3. Question: But that may be required since the second has
not yet become usable when the first Kupah was
available, but here all the Seirim become available at
the same moment (conclusion of the Matanos Damim)!?
4. Answer: Rather, the source is R. Yosi regarding the
Korban Pesach which was lost, replaced and then found
where R. Yosi holds that the first is to be used,
unless the second one is superior to it.
(k) (Rava) The Mishnah seems to imply Rav's position while the
Beraisa seems to imply R. Yochanan's.
3) APPLYING THE POSITIONS OF RAV AND R. YOCHANAN
1. The Mishnah says that the new animal LaShem stands in
the stead of the one which died, but does not say that
the new Mishtaleach stands in stead of the first (like
2. The Beraisa teaches explicitly that the Sheni is the
new Sair, whose partner had not died.
(a) R. Yehudah (also) taught in our Mishnah that the Seir Ha-
Mishtaleach must be put to death if the blood LaShem spilt.
(b) Question: While this is understandable according to R.
Yochanan (Ba'alei Chaim Nidachin), why, according to Rav is
this Ba'al Chai Nidcheh?
(c) Answer: Rav admits that he is not teaching his position in
R. Yehudah, but rather in the Rabanan (see Rashi for how the
Rabanan's position implies that Ba'alei Chaim are not
(d) Question: Rav's position explains R. Yehudah's argument with
the Rabanan, but according to R. Yochanan, what is their
argument (they both speak of the same animal)?
(e) Answer: (Rav) That is (another reason) why we said earlier
that the Mishnah implies the position of Rav.