POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Zevachim 120
ZEVACHIM 120 - anonymously dedicated by an Ohev Torah and Marbitz Torah in
Baltimore, Maryland, formerly of Ramat Beit Shemesh, Israel.
1) "KODSHEI BAMAH" IN THE "MIKDASH"
(a) Rami bar Chama argues with R. Elazar.
2) DIFFERENCES BETWEEN Bamas Yachid AND Bamas Tzibur
1. (R. Elazar): If an Olah for a Bamas Yachid was
brought into the Mikdash (Tosfos - and slaughtered
there; Rashi - it was slaughtered outside), it is
Niklat (receives the law of Kodshei Bamas Tzibur) in
(b) Question: If it was brought into the Mikdash and taken
out, what is the law?
1. Do we say, it is Niklat;
(c) Suggestion: Rabah and Rav Yosef argued about this! (Rav
Yosef says it is Niklat, Rabah says that it is not.)
2. Or, since it was taken out, it no longer is like
Kodshei Bamas Tzibur?
1. (Mishnah): If Kodshei Kodoshim were slaughtered in
the south, Me'ilah applies to them.
(d) Rejection: No, it is not clear how either of them holds
2. Version #1 (Our text) Question: If Yardu (they were
taken down from the Mizbe'ach (after they caught
fire)), do we Ma'aleh (bring them up to offer) them?
3. Answer #1 (Rabah): Lo Ya'alu.
4. Answer #2 (Rav Yosef): Ya'alu.
5. Version #2 (Rashi) Question: If Alu (they came up on
the Mizbe'ach), do we take them down?
6. Answer #1 (Rabah): Yerdu.
7. Answer #2 (Rav Yosef): Lo Yerdu. (End of Version #2)
1. Rabah only said Lo Ya'alu (Rashi - Yerdu) regarding
Pasul Kodshim brought on the Mizbe'ach, for the
Mizbe'ach is Mekadesh only what is fitting for it -
but perhaps Mechitzos (the walls of the Azarah) are
Kolet even Pesulim!
(e) This question is not resolved.
2. Version #1 (our text): Rav Yosef only said Ya'alu
regarding Kodshim offered in the place they were
Hukdash for, but perhaps Mechitzos are not Kolet
Kodshei Bamas Yachid!
3. Version #2 (Rashi): Rav Yosef only said Lo Yerdu
regarding Kodshim slaughtered and offered in the
same place, but perhaps Mechitzos are not Kolet
Kodshim slaughtered outside! (End of Version #2)
4. Or, perhaps one or both of them would not
(f) R. Yanai was unsure about the matter that Rabah and Rav
Yosef argued about:
1. Question (R. Yanai): If limbs of an Olah of (Rashi -
slaughtered on) a Bamas Yachid Alu on the Mizbe'ach
and Yardu, what is the law?
(g) Opinion #1 (Rav or Shmuel): A Korban slaughtered at night
may be offered on a Bamas Yachid; (Rashi's text - Opinion
#1 is (definitely) Rav, Opinion #2 is Shmuel.)
i. If they had not caught fire, surely, Lo Ya'alu;
2. R. Yanai did not resolve this question.
ii. The question is if they had caught fire.
(h) Opinion #2 (The other of Rav and Shmuel): It may not be
offered on a Bamas Yachid.
(i) They argue about R. Elazar's law.
1. Contradiction (R. Elazar): It says "Golu Alai
*ha'Yom* Even Gedolah" (Avodas Bamas Yachid must be
by day) - but it also says "Va'Yagishu...*ha'Laylah*
(j) (Rav): An Olah of a Bamas Yachid does not require Hefshet
2. Answer #1 (Opinion #2): The latter verse refers to
3. Answer #2 (Opinion #1): The former verse refers to
Kodshim of (Hukdeshu for) a Bamas Tzibur, the latter
verse to Kodshei Bamas Yachid.
(k) (R. Yochanan): It requires Hefshet and Nitu'ach.
(l) They argue about R. Yosi ha'Galili's law:
1. (Beraisa - R. Yosi ha'Galili): The Olah that Benei
Yisrael offered in the Midbar did not require
Hefshet and Nitu'ach, Hefshet and Nitu'ach only
began in the Ohel Mo'ed.
2. R. Yochanan holds that once the Ohel Mo'ed was set
up, all Olos require Hefshet and Nitu'ach, both of
Bamas Tzibur and Bamas Yachid;
3. Rav holds that only Olos of a Bamas Tzibur require
(a) Support (for R. Yochanan - Beraisa): The following are
Me'akev on a Bamas Tzibur, not on a Bamas Yachid - it
must have Keranos, a ramp, a Yesod, and it must be
1. (Kohanim must wash from) a Kiyor with a base;
(b) (Mishnah): The following apply equally to a Bamas Tzibur
and a Bamas Yachid:
2. Chazeh v'Shok apply to (are given to Kohanim from)
Shelamim offered on a Bamas Tzibur, not on a Bamas
3. The following apply equally to a Bamas Tzibur and a
i. Slaughter, Hefshet and Nitu'ach, Zerikas Dam
permits the meat, Pigul, Mumim and a time limit
(for eating Kodshim).
1. A time limit, Nosar and Tamei.
(c) (Beraisa) Question: What is the source that a time limit
applies equally to a Bamas Tzibur and a Bamas Yachid?
1. Seemingly, it should not apply! The Torah teaches
that Lan (i.e. Nosar) and Yotzei must be burned;
i. Just like Yotzei is Kosher on a Bamas Yachid
(there are no Mechitzos), also Nosar (there
should be no time limit)!
2. Answer #1: A Kal va'Chomer from birds teaches that
On to Menachos
i. Mumim do not Posel birds, but Linah does -
Mumim Posel Kodshei Bamah, all the more so
3. Objection: A Zar may not Makriv birds (in the
Mikdash), we cannot learn to Kodshei Bamah, which a
Zar may Makriv!
4. Answer #2: "V'Zos Toras Zevach ha'Shelamim" teaches
that Linah is the same on a private or public Bamah.